Coolant sensor

Andy9376

Evening all, 

My car threw a warning fir the temperature sensor today. It completely dropped to zero, then started working a few mins later but it moves around rather than sitting still. 

Is this purely a sensor issue? And how much would it be to fix? I’ve had an overheating issue last year so I’m a bit paranoid about driving it with a dodgy or broken sensor. 

Sounds like it, unless there is a wiring fault. Sensor is about £20-30 from Porsche and about half an hour to fit and maybe then need to leave the bleed valve open to let any air escape. I'd guess £100-150

I'd check the radiator fans still come on in case they are fed from this sensor as well, although I think there is a second sensor that controls them. If the fans don't come on, the car could overheat in traffic.

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I'd check the radiator fans still come on in case they are fed from this sensor as well, although I think there is a second sensor that controls them. If the fans don't come on, the car could overheat in traffic.

Is there an easy way of checking that? I’m a total novice in terms of the workings of the car 

Thanks both. It’s a 987 3.2. I’ve just watched a video and it said that a stuck sensor could cause the car to seriously overheat? Can that be so, as I’d imagine (maybe incorrectly) that the sensor merely reports back the temperature, rather than controlling anything, unless as Nobbie suggested, it may control the radiators. 

4 minutes ago, iborguk said:

All conjecture via remote internet diagnosis, I'd say get it in with someone who can pull the error codes and tell you what is going on.

I did find this ....

Thanks for sharing that. I just ran the car on the drive for a while. I felt a very slight flow of air below each rad. I think there is a leak from the crossover pipes. Not sure if related. I believe they’re pretty pricey to fix?

No problem and again I'd recommend go get it checked by someone in the real world.

Radiator pipes price guide, those are genuine Pork

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod138378/Radiator-pipes-replacement-kit-Porsche-997-Gen-2/

I'd check pricing with an OPC but before you worry yourself on it, again I'd get it to someone who can help re the diagnosis and go from there....that way you know what you're dealing with.

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

No problem and again I'd recommend go get it checked by someone in the real world.

Radiator pipes price guide, those are genuine Pork

I'd check pricing with an OPC but before you worry yourself on it, again I'd get it to someone who can help re the diagnosis and go from there.

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod138378/Radiator-pipes-replacement-kit-Porsche-997-Gen-2/

Much appreciated again. I’ll try and get it to my Indie as soon as. Hopefully it’ll be ok for the next couple of days. 

On 6/4/2019 at 8:14 PM, iborguk said:

All conjecture via remote internet diagnosis, I'd say get it in with someone who can pull the error codes and tell you what is going on.

I did find this ....

Looks like exactly the same part as in the Mk4 VW Golf’s which were a common failure point with same symptoms.

Archived