Sump plug torque

Roger C

So did an oil service last night and this morning there is a little puddle of oil on the floor, looks like it’s coming from the sump plug.

Now I have fitted a new magnetic sump plug with a new crush washer so I’m thinking I may not have done it up tight enough as I’m aware it’s a alloy sump.

Does anyone know the actual torque for sump plugs?

Rog

2 hours ago, Roger C said:

So did an oil service last night and this morning there is a little puddle of oil on the floor, looks like it’s coming from the sump plug.

Now I have fitted a new magnetic sump plug with a new crush washer so I’m thinking I may not have done it up tight enough as I’m aware it’s a alloy sump.

Does anyone know the actual torque for sump plugs?

Rog

According to the 101 projects book 50 Nm or 37 ftlbs. That's based on a 986 but most things also cover the 987. See also 101projects.com/Boxster/2.htm

1 minute ago, red rocket said:

According to the 101 projects book 50 Nm or 37 ftlbs. That's based on a 986 but most things also cover the 987. See also 101projects.com/Boxster/2.htm

Thanks mate, I’ve actually got that book as well, maybe I should have a look in there rather than posting on here every 5 mins..😉

If you have fitted the LN Engineering magnetic sump plug then the torque is much less than standard as they have been known to split when torqued to factory settings. 

From memory the LN magnetic plug should only be torqued to 19ft lb.

Archived