Flexing at Idle

Tynesider

Hi

Don't know if this is normal, but when the car is at idle ( lights, junction whatever) there is a slight movement almost a gentle rock/vibration side to side as you sit there, is it normal on these older versions of 986?  it doesn't bother me it's quite "nice" actually, it feels as if the cars itching to set off. 

Thanks

The idle on my car is not rock solid like others I've owned, but only to the point where there is a very slight fluctuation on the tach needle.

If your feeling vibration through the car, this doesnt sound right, so would say no it's not normal. 

42 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

The idle on my car is not rock solid like others I've owned, but only to the point where there is a very slight fluctuation on the tach needle.

If your feeling vibration through the car, this doesnt sound right, so would say no it's not normal. 

So my next question is, what would make the car do this? what should I be checking?

The idle fluctuates very little, gearstick rock still, one of my jobs is to replace plug tubes and o rings there is no misfire so think coils ok, my thinking was more around mounts something I'm not capable of doing 😕

On 7/6/2019 at 8:07 PM, Toeside said:

Hi

Did this today, the sensor didn't look dirty but unsure what I was looking for as haven't seen before.

Anyway gave it a good clean/dry and also cleaned up the engine bay and covers/ carpet top etc (didn't even realise there was a handy storage bag thing so dismantled that and cleaned it too). First time I've had the engine bay opened up one thing that struck me straight away was the throttle cable, it looks like some of the cable wires have frayed and have been twisted around the cable (previous owner / garage?).

So put it all back and went for drive, to start with I thought it had worked there seemed no vibration/movement at idle but it's still there however it does seem less, if it is this does it sort it straight away or after a while?

Next I could try cleaning the throttle body? any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Hi there 

Yes you could clean the throttle body and inspect all the hoses for damage and check the clamps are tight.

Is the needle fluctuating on tick over? This can be many things from a slight misfire or a vacuum leak. That was why I recommend checking the hoses to throttle body for potential vacuum leaks. I m not sure but I think a oil air separator that is past it’s best can start effecting idle, long before the white smoke that everyone knows about.

If you don’t find anything obvious and you’re throttle body clean doesn’t fix it, I would get it plugged in and checked by a Indy. They can diagnose faulty coils etc and it will save you spending money trying to self diagnose the fault.

44 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Hi there 

Yes you could clean the throttle body and inspect all the hoses for damage and check the clamps are tight.

Is the needle fluctuating on tick over? This can be many things from a slight misfire or a vacuum leak. That was why I recommend checking the hoses to throttle body for potential vacuum leaks. I m not sure but I think a oil air separator that is past it’s best can start effecting idle, long before the white smoke that everyone knows about.

If you don’t find anything obvious and you’re throttle body clean doesn’t fix it, I would get it plugged in and checked by a Indy. They can diagnose faulty coils etc and it will save you spending money trying to self diagnose the fault.

Hi

The needle does fluctuate on tick over. Will check hoses as you suggest and have a go at cleaning the throttle body and see what happens.

Cheers

It might be that the MAF sensor is beyond a quick clean . The wires on the the throttle body sound's like it needs further investigation as they're providing inputs to the throttle.

Might be quicker going to an indie if there is nothing obvious to repair there.  At least you have seen your engine 👍

Have booked car in for a diagnostic and overall check, to be honest it probably does need this and am sure there will be some issues, but at least I should be able to make an informed decision on what to do and what can wait.

They said they would probably spend an hour and a half on it to carry out checks etc and if they find any quick/easy fixes they would do that in the price as well for £45 sounds pretty reasonable to me. The crunch will come when they have the result "It's gonna cost how much!" But hopefully I may be able to do some of it myself once I know what it is. Only prob is that they are busy so can't get in until the 23rd. 

So what do I do in the meantime should I bugger about cleaning the throttle body, hoses etc., or would it be best to wait and see what they come up with? 

Have you cleaned the idle valve sensor, bit of a faff to get to but it will enable you to give your throttle body a good clean as it will all gunked and might not be closing properly which also cause issues, I’d do this before swapping out the MAF and only buy the Bosch one, cheap copies have proven not to work for everyone.

19 hours ago, Toeside said:

Wait until they get a diagnostic and take it from there!

Yeah, thats what I'm gonna do, doesn't make much sense looking when I'm going to pay them to do it ( Get a dog and bark yourself!)

Archived