718 T The story so far

T Box

Just a few impressions thus far on my T and an insight in to the mini saga that has been my ownership experience.

Noise - I appreciate a contentious one but I have no experience of a 6 pot Boxster but find the turbo 4 to be throaty enough. I find it does not help that the cabin is actually well insulated and outside of the car its much louder. Give it some beans, time your downshifts and it sounds pretty good to me.

Performance - 0-60 officially I think is 5.1 secs for this car but honestly it piles speed on seriously quickly  - number of times you look at the speedo doing a great deal more than you thought you were but it does not feel like it. Dropping a cog or two to overtake no problems and great noise. Carries speed through corners so well.

Handling - its superb I have never had as much confidence in a car pushing it in to corners. Turn in is so tight,

Comfort / Ride - actually amazed by this car. More comfy than my M140i. I run mostly in sport mode and on some bumpy B roads and it just breezes around without feeling wallowy which I find brilliant standard seats in mind are brilliant and comfortable too.

Gearbox - 6 speed manual for me and its really really good. The shifts are crisp but its the extra reward you can earn yourself by really mastering this gearbox. After every journey you feel you can improve your shifting and use of the box on the next one - a nice little challenge to myself every time I drive it. The clutch is excellent, not light but not heavy really nicely weighted. I know there is a lot of love for the PDK but I just could not get on with it - it wont do what I want it to do enough of the time on the twisty stuff.

Tech - its ok overall some of the features such as Google maps Nav are great - the loss of streaming is an annoyance but TBH I listen to the engine most journeys not the sound system. I have the boggo system which is fine for me but very boomy. Personally didn't see the need to spend a bag of sand on BOSE.

Roof down - pleasantly surprised how with roof down and windows up how little buffering there is in the cabin and with heated seats and steering wheel no problems on colder trips. 

Build Quality - excellent, save for my little caveat below! 

The sad part of my ownership story has been the car has actually been rejected. Without going to town on my OPC, because they have been a little unlucky and have bent over backwards in sorting out my issues, the car arrived in the UK with the wrong rear bumper on it (US not UK/Europe). We then got in to a saga of botched paint on the new one (wrong colour) and then some damage to the spoiler whilst undergoing a 2nd paint job both the work of the nearest Porsche approved body shop not my OPC. I actually did not get the car for nearly 4 weeks after the original scheduled handover date and  further delays were added waiting for repaints. To top it all off a couple of weeks ago the new paint which does now match has started bubbling like a vinyl sticker applied wrong, its only small but I went back to the OPC after they had offered to change the car without cost to me if I felt I could not live with any more faff. Probably an over reaction but the car isn't right and I felt like maybe me and this particular one were not meant to get along. So, in September a replacement T arrives hopefully with a change of fortunes  - and the right body panels on it this time! I am keeping mine until the new one is ready so at least get the enjoy this one before the replacement arrives.

Great car though, you have any chance to drive one or own one do it.

Great write up, shame about the issues but good to see Porsche are doing the right thing.

I have a 718 S and I agree with pretty much everything you have written. I moved from a 981 so I am used to the Flat 6 Howl. Do I miss it? Nope.

My S is the best Porsche I have ever had and, yes, if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to own one you should.

nice write up....hope the replacement is with you soon and up to scratch

I'd like a Carerra T for the record (although not much chance of that froma financial point..also really truly I'd not know what to do about the Boxtser!)

nic to hear someone who enjpys their Manual too :)

Great review but what a litany of issues with the delivery! Glad to hear you didn’t have any hassle in rejecting it although they really had no choice in the circumstances. I’m sure the OPC will ensure that your replacement is 100%!

Interesting how Porsche have managed to get the steering feel so spot on with an electronic wheel (sounds so much better than my Audi S4).

On 7/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, Happy Days said:

A pity to hear such a story. I agree with you on the likes. Did you opt for the same colour and spec again?

Do you know the sad thing is I am a superstitious sod so I thought a change to the colour would mean a change of luck! - the new one is Guards which I nearly opted for originally and I have changed to the 5 spoke wheels which again was touch and go also originally. The interior accents all red as the yellow obviously wouldn't fly against the new colour. I was lucky the OPC could access a spec amendable build slot at relatively short notice.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

Great write up, shame about the issues but good to see Porsche are doing the right thing.

I have a 718 S and I agree with pretty much everything you have written. I moved from a 981 so I am used to the Flat 6 Howl. Do I miss it? Nope.

My S is the best Porsche I have ever had and, yes, if you are fortunate enough to be in a position to own one you should.

I started my search looking at the 911T which I absolutely love but the money difference is so great its a commitment I couldn't justify. I really do love the open top as well any excuse to get the roof down just adds to the driving experience IMO. Its interesting to read plenty of comments preferring the Box to the 911 but I have not driven the bigger car.

Archived