Spark plug tool advice

Def1

Just bought a 987 , great car and learning loads from this forum so thanks all , I have just ordered all my bits to do a service but I need to buy a spark plug long reach thin wall socket to enable me to change the plugs , any advice on where to buy the tool from would be much appreciated thanks 

I just use the spark plug socket from my socket set with the long extension bar on it. If you've not got a socket set, it might be worthwhile buying one rather than a specific toll for spark plugs. I go at a cheapish one from Halfords about 25 years ago and it's still going strong.

Same as what use. Got it just under half the RRP few years ago. They replace the Advance stuff under lifetime warranty without question if you do break anything (only the tiny ratchet popped on me so far changing shocks on a 20yr old rusty Honda)

Yeah but need some new tools anyway now I am getting my hands dirty again , years of company cars and lending the kids tools , they will pay for themselves over a couple of services and brake changes ect 

On 7/19/2019 at 4:05 PM, PhilTUK said:

No worries, hope it helps.

How easy did you find getting the plugs out and back in! Do you need a flexi joint like i’ve Seen in some You tube videos?

6 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

How easy did you find getting the plugs out and back in! Do you need a flexi joint like i’ve Seen in some You tube videos?

I used a 3/8 drive swivel head ratchet dirctly on to the socket, no need for extensions. I had no problems removing the plugs. This was on a 986 so I can't say for certain the 987 will be as straightforward, I'm not familiar with them (yet!)

The only bit of head scrathing I had was on the most rearward coil on the N/S bank, I replaced the pattern coils with Beru ones which used Inverted Torx head bolts instead of allen bolts and I ran out of clearance on this bolt so used a 12point spanner that fitted nicely.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/FNF100 

Archived