Fitting a dash can and opc Warranty

G2JRP

Our car has an OPC Warranty but would like to fit a wired dash cam will this affect the warranty and if not where is it best to wire in the fuse box

pick the car up on Friday😀

thanks

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-2560x1440P-Camera-Discreet-Design/dp/B07G14KWPB/ref=asc_df_B07G14KWPB/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310747102469&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7435246209204369165&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046433&hvtargid=pla-587431509006&psc=1

I use one of these installed behind the mirror with the wire routed around the windscreen (just poked behind the trim) and powered by the socket in the glove box. This socket cuts power after the car is stopped for 30 mins. Obviously if you wanted a cam with parking mode this would not suffice, but it does mean no warranty issues etc.

it you did hardwire in a cam this wouldn’t invalidate your warranty as such, but it would prevent you renewing the warranty (if they spotted it) and if you had an electric warranty claim you COULD have a few difficulties. 

3 hours ago, Greenman said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VIOFO-2560x1440P-Camera-Discreet-Design/dp/B07G14KWPB/ref=asc_df_B07G14KWPB/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310747102469&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7435246209204369165&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046433&hvtargid=pla-587431509006&psc=1

I use one of these installed behind the mirror with the wire routed around the windscreen (just poked behind the trim) and powered by the socket in the glove box. This socket cuts power after the car is stopped for 30 mins. Obviously if you wanted a cam with parking mode this would not suffice, but it does mean no warranty issues etc.

it you did hardwire in a cam this wouldn’t invalidate your warranty as such, but it would prevent you renewing the warranty (if they spotted it) and if you had an electric warranty claim you COULD have a few difficulties. 

I have no firsthand knowledge of warranty claims but there are multiple anecdotes about the *entire* warranty being invalid if the car has been modified. Hard-wiring a camera (i.e. via the fuse panel or tapping into the wiring elsewhere as opposed to using an existing power socket) could arguably be considered a modification. Seems fantastically unreasonable for Porsche Cars GB but they make the rules...

It might effect it if they see it or believe think it has any connection to the fault.  This is dependent on the OPCs attitude and your relationship to them, it's a grey area.

My advice is to go ahead if you want it, just ensure everything you do is easily reversible so that you can remove it before a dealer visit if you have any concerns.

2 hours ago, Carmine said:

there are multiple anecdotes about the *entire* warranty being invalid if the car has been modified.

A lot of people quote a lot of b*ll*x, I’ve never heard a First hand account of anything like this. The warranty document is pretty clear when it says problems are not covered if CAUSED by a modification you make to the car, good luck Porsche trying to pin a gearbox failure on your hardwired dash cam.

I hardwired mine into the fuse box and nothing got mentioned when I had the 111 point check done to extend the warranty. In fact they picked up on one of the horn tones not working and this was replaced under the existing warranty prior to it being renewed the following day.

Is there a how to guide on taking the trim around the windscreen off so that I can hide the wire down the windscreen to the passenger footwell. Normally the panels just pull off but these look a bit more substantial 

thanks 

As Greenman says, with the roof open, firstly position your camera then fed the cable under the rubber seal working towards and then down the A pillar. You will find a slight recess for the cable to slip into. Open the globe box, then fed the cable through the side and on into the socket. I used a small cable tie to make the excess cable tidy. Hope this helps, it really is easy and looks tidy.

I documented mine the first time around

http://stuart-brown.photography/981-waiting-in-anticipation-running-report-page-10

when I had a new windscreen I had to refit it and the next time managed to take of the plastic shroud on the passenger sun visor and route the cable through that area so its not visible at all now (except a couple of inches to the left of the rear view mirror, where it tucks behind the windscreen plastic cover :)

6 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I documented mine the first time around

http://stuart-brown.photography/981-waiting-in-anticipation-running-report-page-10

when I had a new windscreen I had to refit it and the next time managed to take of the plastic shroud on the passenger sun visor and route the cable through that area so its not visible at all now (except a couple of inches to the left of the rear view mirror, where it tucks behind the windscreen plastic cover :)

Great thanks that is what I am hoping to do.

• 3 weeks later...

One option is to connect the charger socket in the glovebox to battery pack (so it keeps topped up) and then plug the Dashcam into the battery pack, this way it will work for 24hr-48hr (depending on capacity) afterwards if you are leaving the car parked somewhere.

A better option potentially then messing with the vehicles electrical systems.

Archived