Changing the Becker audio system.

paul rylah

Probably been asked a few times, I have a 986 3.2S built in 2000. I would like to upgrade the standard Becker set up, would like to fit a 2 din unit in the middle and move the a/c controls down to the lower console. 

I understand that there may be some issues integrating this with the existing wiring etc.

The current setup is the cdr22, cd multi changer and amp in the front. Silly 4inch speakers in the dash.

Cheers for any advice you can give.

As it's a CDR22 it's not fibre optic just standard copper wiring (unless someone more knowledgeable wants to correct me), so you should have no problems installing another system. You'll probably have to bypass the existing amp though and  run it directly from the head unit. 

The Becker unit has ISO connectors so any new unit with the 16-pin (or 2 8-pin plugs) will go in OK.  I fitted a single DIN Kenwood unit shortly after getting the car last year and just last night I completed fitting a pair of Pioneer (TS-1002i) speakers to the dash speaker housings using the original Porsche wiring and also added a pair of rear speakers (Pioneer TS-875) to the rear shelf storage box by adding supports for them from hardboard and profiling it to fit the voids and added the loom including putting pins into the original loom ISO connector to make the full set of 4 speaker connections.  Budget will drive how much you spend on head unit and speakers, but bear in mid it is a soft top with not too much sound deadening so blowing the budget may not get a significantly better result.

There are a number of threads on double DIN options in the forum too.

Just wanted a better sound field rather than a full ICE upgrade.  Harking back to my youth of putting better than OE head units and speakers in the the places the manufacturer already designed speakers to be put, hence not looking at adding door speakers as I didn't fancy modifying my door cards even thought I could have fitted better speakers if I had done that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just moved the hvac controls and fitted a kenwood double din , , i purchased these kits to make it so easy , the stripping of the dash and installing took less than a couple of hours

Ebay items numbers

y4mI9nVCua9YPkEkrFDuHB6Ko1rWqqGGJNNkHwNX

Archived