Creaking noise from passenger dash airbag

GmanB

Hi All, 

Generally speaking the car has very few creaks and noises for a 16 year old car. However, there is one noise that grinds on me. Which I believe is plastic in around the passenger air bag that sits on the dash (that large rectangular shape) . Often in cooler weather (and we've had a lot of that this summer), it's a persistent creaking noise. I have code 981 on the options list and unsure if it's plastic behind the leather or if the leather doesn't even go to that part of the dash. 

I'm not really sure if I can even do anything about it. So really just seeing if anyone has had similar problems and what they've done?

Many thanks in advance

You could try removing the dash pad for the airbag, cleaning around the aperture and refitting it. They remove fairly easily if I recall, with just a couple of nuts on the underside of the dash. 

Make sure you disconnect the battery first! 

3 hours ago, GmanB said:

Thanks @jonogt6 will check that out once she's back from the doctors. Just to clarify, I need to disconnect the battery to disable the airbag? 👍

Do your research but I believe the battery has to be not just disconnected but disconnected for at least 10 minutes.

11 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Might be wroth cleaning the dash and the pad surround with an car interior cleaner with some silicone in it.

Thanks, yes I've done that a few times. Only when I spray silicone all over the area it stops for a day and comes back. 

Bigger worries at the moment, loud ticking from the cam area, so she's off the road for a while :( 

1 minute ago, Boxob said:

Do your research but I believe the battery has to be not just disconnected but disconnected for at least 10 minutes.

Thanks, will double check before I get around to it. 👍

Archived