Inner cv boot

Tritonkev

1Done the rear tuning forks today and noticed inner cv boot gone on passenger side after doing some research it looks as though its possible to change the inner boot by disconnecting at gearbox only and replacing boot has anyone done this and any tips before I get stuck in 

Not true @golfprorich@Tritonkev, read on if you are feeling brave!

I changed all 4 boots on my 2000 S without removing the outer end of the drive shafts.  You can take the joint apart on the shaft as there is JUST room to remove the circlip so you can manipulate the joint and remove the inner, race and ball bearings.  (I reckon if I had split another joint on the suspension I could have got it off but it was cold, dark and October when  I was doing it and at the time I didn't fancy having to get it tracked up as well).  The cut off the old boot and pull the new CV boot (in my case both boots) through the outer onto the shaft and reassemble the joint.  It is a faff and it ain't quick granted so I'd do both CV boots on the shaft at the same time so you don't have to repeat any time soon, but as I couldn't break the outer hub nut (345lbft to do up plus many years of use so probably double to undo) it was a just about workable option.  You just need to make sure the area is as clean as possible when reassembling the CV joint onto the shaft and greasing it up.  Also it was done with a jack and axle stands on a driveway not in a pristine workshop on a ramp either.

I did write this up under a title something like 'Legend or Lunatic'...  I'm still not sure which but 3500 miles later its all still OK.

Archived