Pink fluid dripping from waterpump area.

Remodot

As per another post I have a whining coming from the engine area, upon investigation it looks like the serpentine belt tensioner and idlers are the culprits, new once coming from Germany, should be here tomorrow or Monday, water pump felt fine when checked with belt off. However, this morning there was a small pool of pink liquid under the car. I checked the water level and its fine so I jacked the car up and removed the under tray to find a very slow dip from under the water pump and thermostat. So now I am wondering if the pump is leaking? The pump dry all round with no play - is it possible to now be leaking but working well? I also removed the engine cover behind the seats but everything looks dry from what I can see. I'm tempted to just change the pump and thermostat as I do not have any records of it being changed before 2006 car with 50k on the clock, full-service history.

Just wondering what others experiences have been, leaking pump? gasket failure or possibly a hose? I will hopefully get back under the car tomorrow for another look. 

The pumps are notorious failure points. I suspect that if you check for play in the pump bearings you will find some and this is what is causing the leak - catastrophic failure is probably not far behind. Get it changed now for peace of mind. Forum wisdom is to replace with a pump that has a plastic impeller. You might also consider a low temp thermo stat but when I did mine, research indicated this was less of a problem on a 987 compared to a 986 so I kept with standard. Your next question will be which make and where to purchase 😀- do a forum search for the many threads discussing this.

Which anti freeze is recommended? Current is Pink in colour, I don’t plan to drain the whole system, that is I don’t plan to take the front bumper off to drain the roads.

I took the serpentine belt off again and now there is a lot of play on the water pump, was definitely no where near as much 10 days ago. So new pump needed.

2 hours ago, Remodot said:

Which anti freeze is recommended? Current is Pink in colour, I don’t plan to drain the whole system, that is I don’t plan to take the front bumper off to drain the roads.

I think the spec says it must be OAT Organic Acid Technology. I used this..

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Porsche_Boxster_2.7_2008/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770481&0&cc5_866

and I didn't drain the system. Though I have just noticed their 'purple' is also OAT so not sure what the difference is. BTW the most confusing thing of doing this job was finding the bleed valve for the coolant system. All pictures showed this in the boot under the water filler but on later models (mine is 2008) it was moved to the top of the engine so I had to remove the engine cover for access. Mine bled fine but others have had problems and have ended up using a pressure filling system.

Thanks for that, the drain valve was my next question. I knew it wasn't in boot next to the oil and water filling ports, I had an idea that it had been moved to the top of the engine but wasn't sure. I think G12 or G12 + are my options. I have taken the thermostat housing off, new thermostat comes in a new housing and have taken 4 of the 5 water pump bolts off, the hard to get to one can wait until tomorrow. Any tips on getting to that one?  

4 hours ago, Remodot said:

Thanks for that, the drain valve was my next question. I knew it wasn't in boot next to the oil and water filling ports, I had an idea that it had been moved to the top of the engine but wasn't sure. I think G12 or G12 + are my options. I have taken the thermostat housing off, new thermostat comes in a new housing and have taken 4 of the 5 water pump bolts off, the hard to get to one can wait until tomorrow. Any tips on getting to that one?  

I remember one of the bolts being  little awkward but did it without too much trouble with standard ring spanners and small socket set - didnt do anything special except curse a lot!

Got it off, yes one bolt a little frustrating, jut takes a bit of time.

thanks  

Archived