Manual Gearbox Oil

flyingdoc93

Hi everyone,

hope every mile is still making you smile!

Took my 987S to Cavendish near Nottingham for its first service since I’ve owned it (Major).

I also based on the owners book and common sense asked them to do the manual gearbox oil change (cost around £90) as the car is now 12 years old. I have to say it’s made the world of difference and well worth doing. Before the gear shifts were sometimes quite stiff (esp when cold) and now it’s like silk. 

I also had the coolant changed + flushed (another £90) as again common sense says you should if it hasn’t ever been done and 6 new coil packs as mine were all cracked to bits. 

All in with spark plugs and brake fluid as well it was £950 but worth it :) don’t tell the mrs 

Highly recommend Cavendish as well. Great service and extremely knowledgeable. OPC quoted £1860 no jokes!

That’s a good bit of work and parts needed would have cost i guess a third or more.Sadly no one like cavendish near me.Gearbox oil change is something I’d be tempted to pay someone else to do.

I think the Gearbox oil change is actually relatively easy to DIY looking on YouTube but I needed other stuff doing anyway and so made sense for them to do it!

1 hour ago, flyingdoc93 said:

I think the Gearbox oil change is actually relatively easy to DIY looking on YouTube but I needed other stuff doing anyway and so made sense for them to do it!

Yeah looks easy enough.I think I’m just getting lazier.Used to like rolling around under cars but the getting back of the ground is not so easy.and the dirt gets in my beard 🧔 

6 hours ago, 911S said:

Just bought myself a manual fluid transfer pump of the Bay.

Best £7 I’ve spent as it allows a non mess making fill up on both Boxster and 911.

Have you got a link? I need to buy one for when I change the gearbox fluid on my Cayman next month

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sa utah said:

The best thing you can buy is they type of pump which screws directly onto the bottle containing the gearbox / diff fluid or whatever

Thats what I use  

Completely agree with you and @911S did the gearbox oil on my manky old Celica (sprint / track car now sold after a fun first season..).

Pump (that screws onto the gearbox fluid) made the job very easy - tube even hooked into the box. The change afterwards was literally night and day / I couldn’t believe the improvement (probably not done in 140,000 miles mind...).

40-E3-B523-81-B5-4-E62-A9-D8-16006625-B8

E958340-D-CBB9-4-C3-B-88-E5-31-B1-F722-E

Archived