What does Sports chrono actually do?

bandit_287

I’ve not got the manual handy but I’m sat in the car playing around with the toys and although the car has got Sport and Sport plus, what does the Sports chrono do? If I activate it all it seems to do is use the little clock in the centre of the dash as a timing device. I can’t feel any other difference to the car, If that’s all it does I guess it’s for timing track laps. 

Adapts throttle response and speed of gear changes for pdk, adds adaptive mounts on the transmission, launch control with pdk, higher threshold for driver aid assistance, lap timing and lap data in your pcm and obviously gives you the clock in the centre.  

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Adapts throttle response and speed of gear changes for pdk, adds adaptive mounts on the transmission, launch control with pdk, higher threshold for driver aid assistance, lap timing and lap data in your pcm and obviously gives you the clock in the centre.  

I thought that’s what Sport and Sport plus did? Activating Sport chrono doesn’t seem to do any of that, not that I can feel. Sport/plus defo makes a difference. 

22 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

I thought that’s what Sport and Sport plus did? Activating Sport chrono doesn’t seem to do any of that, not that I can feel. Sport/plus defo makes a difference. 

Are you in manual or PDK.  In PDK the difference between sport+ and sport is very apparent. Sport+ gear changes are pretty savage with speed of change being the primary focus, whereas even in sport some thought is given to mechanical sympathy.    In manual this obviously will not be as apparent.

in manual I believe you get auto rev matching?  As Daz says the traction control dials back, I believe in sport+ no action is taken if losing traction on one wheel. Obviously you get all the lap timing integration which isn’t going to mean much if you don’t track the car. But really the biggest change is the adaptive engine mounts which (like PASM) are always working but have different modes depending on normal/sport/sport+ settings,  of course you won’t easily spot the difference between switching modes as the adaptive nature means there is a crossover between the modes (like PASM).

PDK. Yes I can definitely feel a difference in Sport and Sport plus. I’ve only activated Sport Chrono once or twice as I assumed it was just the clock that got used. I’ll activate it again and see how it feels.  Maybe I’ll stick it in Sport plus, activate Sport Chrono and use the paddles in manual mode and see what it’s like.

Sport plus in manual with the PSE activated is fun.

Yes, the centre timer is jus tthat ie a lap timer. Most just use it to play around and try to get their model number lol eg 9.11

In the 981 it also acts as a clock when not used as a timer (in earlier 987's it does not).

nb I think it also gives you extra customisation options in the PCM re the car configuration eg how long lights stay on for after ignition off and customised for different keys (I could be wrong on that so RTM 😉 )

On the 981 it also gives you dynmic engine mounts (again I think, I had a GTS which has them as standard but think they where part of the Sport Chrono package ?)

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

That makes sense then. Activating just the Sport Chrono from the OBC only starts the timer. Sport and Sport plus buttons make the difference. 

Ahh I see your confusion.  Yes using sport Chrono in the display has no impact on car dynamics, it’s just for lap timing etc.

Yes - you can activate the stopwatch from the dash  binnacle.... this does nothing (other than make the clock whir around in a pleasing manner!!).... if you want all the benefits of having that clock there, press sport or sport+

3 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

Most just use it to play around and try to get their model number lol eg 9.11

Hadn't thought of that but damn you!!! Know what my focus is now on next time I'm in a traffic jam!!! 9.81 - here we come!

Archived