My France and Spain tour November 2019

John2000

I use RAC for home and Europe I cant remember what I'm paying I'll look it up I've been with them for years and this is the second road trip I've done using them for breakdown cover 

The sort of trip I've just done I would not have done without having them for reassurance.

Luckily I didn't need then again for this trip the car never missed a beat I'm pleased to say 

It was truly an epic road trip with all sorts of surprises stopped from entering Spain because the crossing into Spain was closed for two days because a demonstration from the Catalan people so had to do a detour to Toulouse and stay there overnight and drive to into Spain by a different route.

Slept in  a Castle that's run by the government as an hotel. 

On the way home from Portsmouth late last night the ferry was late docking because of rough seas so disembarked at midnight hit the motorway heading  for the midlands only to find the motorway was closed and we got diverted through Winchester on night that was -3 and foggy first time in three years ownership I've ever had to use my dog lights front and rear they where great got home this morning at 2.30 am

pictures and a full write up when I get time.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, John2000 said:

Thanks @PhilTUK it looks even better when clean.

I'm on the coast half way between Murcia and Almeria nearer Almeria 

Sun's shining again this morning but I can see some clouds on the horizon. 

Having a rest from driving for a week or so then start back home with an overnight stay in a castle at Siguenza then a night in Bilbao before catching the ferry home that will make a nice round trip.

I'll post my final mileage when we get back a week on Friday.

I've spent many weeks a little further down the coast, in the hills not far from Nerja. There are some fantastic mountain roads and great views. I'm going to add this to my bucket list, thanks @John2000 :)  

16 hours ago, John2000 said:

Slept in  a Castle that's run by the government as an hotel. 

That was likely a Parador Hotel you stayed in? They are usually pretty special. The one in Malaga city occupies a spectacular vantage point with great views. Was also another at Monda Castle not far from me but seems to be no longer a Parador, still a great place though. Have heard of people planning trips around Spain and only staying at Paradors - would be a wonderful way to do it.

1 hour ago, el 3.2S said:

That was likely a Parador Hotel you stayed in? They are usually pretty special. The one in Malaga city occupies a spectacular vantage point with great views. Was also another at Monda Castle not far from me but seems to be no longer a Parador, still a great place though. Have heard of people planning trips around Spain and only staying at Paradors - would be a wonderful way to do it.

Yes it was a Parador and yes that would be another great road trip the cost was only 70 euros for a twin for the night so less than an holiday Inn we normally stay at.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Sounds like a great trip and an adventure.  Must do one of my own, in the UK first then a proper European trip.

Very jealous!

Chris as you already know France is the way to go so many medieval towns very much intact and I love the fact you can switch from miles to Kms in a second.

I was expecting a few fines on my may when I got back yesterday but I've been lucky so far probably because I changed to kms.

I inadvertently picked up a flash from a fixed camera in France back in 2016 but never received a fine, but not a chance I want to take too often.  I use my satnav as an accurate speedo everywhere in miles or km as necessary as well as giving speed limits and camera location notifications.  It is nice to 'play' occasionally though when you know ti is clear.  Easy to switch the car over too but I do find it a bit disconcerting to suddenly have my total 'mileage' go up to 140k+ km from only mid 90k miles.

All the trips I've done have been to a destination fora holiday rather than to just travel and make that the holiday.  I have a UK route from the Midlands up to the North East, through the Borders, up to Speyside then from Inverness down the Military Roads over to Mull and then back down through the Lakes.  Maybe next year...

You may have been lucky in 2016 but you won't now we (the UK ) now allow the rest of Europe to access our DVLA that's why you now get a ticket on your mat before you get home this service is not reciprocated I've read the reason quoted is data protection don't know if its true or not but if you just look at the toll charges we pay in France and Spain  yet the rest of Europe get to use our motorways free.

Archived