My France and Spain tour November 2019

John2000

Well so far so good, Sunday drove to my brother's in Kent for my first stop and we where off early this morning to catch the 9.20 euro tunnel, the drive to the tunnel was very busy and heavy rain that set the scene for the drive up to Paris and round the peripherque .

So glad I installed the cruise control it was worth the effort and cost.

Once we left Paris and started to head to central France the rain stopped but still a lot of spray so the top staying up.

Stopped at a Ibis hotel for the night in Bourges and if the heavy rain continues tomorrow it more motorway until the sun comes out, if the suns out tomorrow I'll plot a route with no motorways and the top down.

Whatever happens I know I can look forward to some sun when we get to Andalucia.

11 minutes ago, John2000 said:

Whatever happens I know I can look forward to some sun when we get to Andalucia.

Hope so for you but it’s been really wet here for two weeks (dry for months beforehand). 

@Topbox funny you should say that bob it's a little later than we had planned but life gets in the way just like it did when we planned to join you you in Scotland but we managed to get there a little later than planned there too.

Cheryl says hello to Anna 

@PhilTUK happy to post some pictures with the sun out and top down but the way it's going it may not be until we hit south Spain but let's see what tomorrow brings 😎

Well progress so far has been a mix of rain, sunshine and unexpected detours!

Great journey got down to the French A9 Mediterranean having stopped to take pictures of the Millau bridge before crossing it. But happened to pick a day to try and cross into Spain when the motorway into Spain was closed because  of the Catalan protest closing the crossing for two days we had to make a 300 detour back up to Toulouse and stay an extra night but it all added to the fun because we crossed the next day over the Pyrenees in the sunshine.

Miles driven so far is 1768 but worth it for the 24c heat and sunshine 

Pictures to follow when I get a better internet connection.

Oops, yes worth avoiding Barcelona area these days. Protests been going on for weeks there. Watch out for snow in Spain - many inland areas are having a lot of snow. Weather here in the south has taken a decidedly wintery turn the last few days. Much less sun and under 20c now with a cold northerly wind. Quite a bit of rain forcast for next week too, from Tuesday. Apart from one deluge 4 weeks ago, it will be the first real rain of the year. Hope you find good weather along the way though:).

Nasty cold snap in Lisbon today, temp was 16-17C for a month and suddenly it's 11C. (Yeah the Brits will scoff - but I think the same has just happened there, just with lower numbers). And raining still, despite them predicting a sunny day.  More rain next week too.  While it's a pain, the country desperately needs it, there were too many forest fires into October and the reservoirs are looking parched.

18 hours ago, el 3.2S said:

Oops, yes worth avoiding Barcelona area these days. Protests been going on for weeks there. Watch out for snow in Spain - many inland areas are having a lot of snow. Weather here in the south has taken a decidedly wintery turn the last few days. Much less sun and under 20c now with a cold northerly wind. Quite a bit of rain forcast for next week too, from Tuesday. Apart from one deluge 4 weeks ago, it will be the first real rain of the year. Hope you find good weather along the way though:).

Yep, when on holiday two weeks ago we decided a day trip to Tarragona was a better idea than Barcelona....  Intriguingly the best published info I found on planed demos was on the Spanish US Embassy website....

Thanks @el 3.2S not done that bad since we arrived on the coast.

Wish I had known about the Spanish US website.

@Topbox in answer to you question on

"interesting time of year to go !"

http://imgur.com/a/ZlgLBOp

http://imgur.com/a/oYsYBSl

Sorry the links don't embed when posted on my phone.

22 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Rainy yesterday, sunny today, rain all this week apparently. Hope it doesn't make it to you John :)

It is supposed to be cloudy for the rest of the week and sunny again next weekend but it it rains I cant complain we have been a luckier than most of Europe the last few days.

If we get more sun i would send some over to Portugal but you need some rain 

Thanks @Ringer250 that's nice of you I used to be able to embed them but fir some reason it will only post the link now.

It really needs a wash it's done 1800 miles without one and I entered France with a full tank and spent €351 on petrol getting 31 mpg so not so bad

1 hour ago, John2000 said:

Thanks @Ringer250 that's nice of you I used to be able to embed them but fir some reason it will only post the link now.

It really needs a wash it's done 1800 miles without one and I entered France with a full tank and spent €351 on petrol getting 31 mpg so not so bad

The car looks great :) How far down Spain so far? Enjoy the sunshine and happy driving. I think I need to pencil in a road trip soon. 

Thanks @PhilTUK it looks even better when clean.

I'm on the coast half way between Murcia and Almeria nearer Almeria 

Sun's shining again this morning but I can see some clouds on the horizon. 

Having a rest from driving for a week or so then start back home with an overnight stay in a castle at Siguenza then a night in Bilbao before catching the ferry home that will make a nice round trip.

I'll post my final mileage when we get back a week on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Tritonkev said:

Did you use a any euro recovery insurance if so who 

I looked at it and most weren't interested as 20 year old car or very expensive 

I recently invested in an annual RAC 'euro only' recovery for my aging M/cycle (covers cars too). I used Tesco vouchers and worked out cheaper than a single one off cover.

Archived