Seemingly lack of vacuum, wooden brakes.

phazed

11 hours ago, phazed said:

Interesting post I found on a site, (Planet9): A guy had a similar problem with a Cayman.

"

"Brakes:
The 2006 Cayman S gets the 'Big Red' brakes from the Boxster S, sporting 12.5" rotors up front, 11.8" rotors in the rear, both clamped by patented 4 piston monobloc calipers made for Porsche by Brembo. The open top design of the calipers makes brake pad swaps possible without removing the caliper.  

Brake boost is provided by a mechanical vacuum pump so boost levels will not drop from long applications of wide open throttle like systems that use manifold provided vacuum. Cooling is well thought out, using the air flow from the radiators to keep the braking system cool, but not so cool that aggressive brake pads can't be safely used."

I pulled the line off the booster and it is pulling some suction and the engine didn't change speed so it appears to be working. Anyone know where is this Mechanical Vacuum Pump located? Any check valves I need to check?"

Worth investigating tomorrow.

If it has a separate vacuum pump, removing the vacuum hose from that isn't going to effect the idle in the same way as a servo fed from the inlet manifold would?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking that if I disconnect the vacuum hose, plug it and run the engine, I can check if it is producing any vacuum at all. If I get someone to operate the throttle while I am at the pump, I should be able to tell .

I'd say with no assistance at all, the brakes would be extremely heavy at all times. A quick look on Ebay suggests a new pump is about £300. So not something you want to guess at and replace on a whim.

I didn't realise our cars had a separate pump either. Looking at the pics on Ebay, it presumably provides the vacuum to a conventional servo? If so, you could test the vacuum it produces at various RPM with a vacuum gauge? The sort once common as a tuning aid in the days of carbs and dizzies?  I'd first be looking for a leak on the feed between pump and servo. As the servo has a one way valve to maintain any vacuum produced, so at high revs the output from the pump might just overcome a small leak.

Agree with all the above.

Just under there at the moment and investigating pipe routes et cetera which is not too easy as expected! 

50 minutes ago, phazed said:

Agree with all the above.

Just under there at the moment and investigating pipe routes et cetera which is not too easy as expected! 

Nothing is ever easy on our cars. Apart from fitting headlight bulbs.😀

I suspect the issue is less that people don't work on their cars but that this issue is rare. Also the 987 is still relatively new. There is to me noticeably more DIY action on the 986 than the 987 even though they are very similar underneath. 

32 minutes ago, TV8 said:

I knew you would find a reason to take this apart. You can’t resist....

Where is that huge smiley emoji!

Hi Graham. 

I found the pump on the nearside bank head, removed the vacuum pipe connection, ran up the engine and checked  for vacuum.

The vacuum seemed very strong so reconnected.  Ran the engine up again and had a listen underneath. There seemed to be a sucking noise behind one of the floor panels accessed from underneath. I removed this and found a push fit joint on the vacuum tubing  that was not pushed hard together. I snapped this together, replaced the floor panels and tried the brake pedal at idle.

The pedal had that nice soft servo feel even after half a dozen continuous pushes on the pedal, (which it didn't have before). Not had a chance to test drive it yet as it is pishing with rain and I can think of better things to do!

Pretty confident though......... 

1 hour ago, phazed said:

I found the pump on the nearside bank head, removed the vacuum pipe connection, ran up the engine and checked  for vacuum.

The vacuum seemed very strong so reconnected.  Ran the engine up again and had a listen underneath. There seemed to be a sucking noise behind one of the floor panels accessed from underneath. I removed this and found a push fit joint on the vacuum tubing  that was not pushed hard together. I snapped this together, replaced the floor panels and tried the brake pedal at idle.

The pedal had that nice soft servo feel even after half a dozen continuous pushes on the pedal, (which it didn't have before). Not had a chance to test drive it yet as it is pishing with rain and I can think of better things to do!

Pretty confident though......... 

Good job, do you reckon it was dislodged when the floor panel,was removed previously? Just wondering about the possibility of it coming off again or did you secure it in some way?

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Where is that huge smiley emoji!

Hi Graham. 

Hi Peter, also have a look on 911uk.com if you get stuck. There is a Boxster section but that is small compared to the 996 and 997 sections which have a lot of cross over to your 987. There are a couple of characters on there who seem to answer everything.

One is being particularly helpful for me as I learn the subtleties of my new toy.

Couldn't wait for the rain to stop and I became impatient.

Took the car for a spin and the brakes are .....................PERFECT!

I wonder how that pipe became disconnected considering it is behind one of the plastic floor panels? 

That is two free fixes on this car in the last few weeks since I've owned it. The first was the rattly exhaust valves on the  rear silencers. 

Just got to replace the two practically illegal tyres on the rear and Bobs a goodun.

Good work Peter.  If you fancy a third free fix, there are two good 18 265 35 Pirelli’s available if you are near Costco Croydon at lunch time on Friday. I’ll even buy you hotdog and soft drink if you fancy a chat whilst they fit my 4 new tyres? I offered them to a local mate but he hasn’t come back to me. 

Bugger, mine are 19's!

i think that original fitment Michelin tyres are about £140 each or thereabouts..

What time will you be there? Not promising but if it's not pishing down with rain I may take it out for a spin.

19 minutes ago, phazed said:

Bugger, mine are 19's!

i think that original fitment Michelin tyres are about £140 each or thereabouts..

What time will you be there? Not promising but if it's not pishing down with rain I may take it out for a spin.

I'd be surprised if you can find them for £140 all in. More like £200. Each.

2 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

Not sure about 19’s but I have got 4 N rated Michelin PS2 for £450 or 460 fitted, balanced etc. PS4 in the same sizes 18 225/40 and 18 265/35 were £10 more in total. Plus I get a % or two back on my Costco spend 

2 hours ago, phazed said:

Bugger, mine are 19's!

Two out of three freebies ain’t bad. Be great to catch up if you can make it - my appointment is at 12.30 

On 11/26/2019 at 6:44 PM, DaveEFI said:

Hi Dave, I had my tyres fitted today (Note to self - check it isn't Black Friday when going to Costco in the future) and I price checked 19" Pilot Sport 4s - 235/35 ZR19 118.99 + VAT or £142.78 with the VAT

Buy two and get £40 off so £245.56 for two balanced, new valves and fitted (I think they use Nitrogen). The tyre department is so busy, if it wasn't so local, I would actually consider buying them for delivery and taking them down the road and paying the locals £20 to stick them on.

For me, obviously we all like to save money but everything you buy from a Costco Warehouse is quibble free warranty and refund if you are not happy or something goes wrong. Some of the Sport Tyres are prone to cracking and although I have never had cause to take tyres back I am certain they would just change them.

Cheap!

This is what I am after for the rear:

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-super-sport/265/35/R19/Y/98/f?tyre=34716867

£250.00 each fitted!!! I'm sure that you can pay more.

9 minutes ago, phazed said:

Cheap!

https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-super-sport/265/35/R19/Y/98/f?tyre=34716867

That has 20% discount applied to it today so a net £200-220 is probably the normal price

On 11/26/2019 at 2:14 PM, phazed said:

wonder how that pipe became disconnected considering it is behind one of the plastic floor panels? 

Got life insurance? 

Did you tell the wife you’d found it and fixed it? Did she look slightly disappointed?

Just wondering...

20 hours ago, TV8 said:

Hi Dave, I had my tyres fitted today (Note to self - check it isn't Black Friday when going to Costco in the future) and I price checked 19" Pilot Sport 4s - 235/35 ZR19 118.99 + VAT or £142.78 with the VAT

Buy two and get £40 off so £245.56 for two balanced, new valves and fitted (I think they use Nitrogen). The tyre department is so busy, if it wasn't so local, I would actually consider buying them for delivery and taking them down the road and paying the locals £20 to stick them on.

For me, obviously we all like to save money but everything you buy from a Costco Warehouse is quibble free warranty and refund if you are not happy or something goes wrong. Some of the Sport Tyres are prone to cracking and although I have never had cause to take tyres back I am certain they would just change them.

20 hours ago, phazed said:

Cheap!

19 hours ago, TV8 said:

That has 20% discount applied to it today so a net £200-220 is probably the normal price

You're talking about different tyres.  235 are fronts and 265 are rears....

Archived