Time to say goodbye

Jonny A

Well after 2 years my lovely 718 has had to make way for something more suited to my ageing and increasingly inflexible body. I have to say it’s been a blast and I will miss having the top down on a dry day. If I had the money I would have kept it as a play thing but sadly that’s not possible.  

Summarising after 2 years. Loved it and only 2 issues really.

The complete lack of storage space, hopeless in my view especially given the rows of blank switches.  

The engine when cold is a bag of nails but when warmed is rather a nice little thing with an angry bark that I quite like. My friends 981 GTS really struggles to keep up and there are very few things around that are genuinely quicker if you ignore staged straight line stuff. 

I almost included the PCM system but that is completely redeemed by apple car play. However did I manage without it. 

Anyway I plan to stalk these pages still, living vicariously and enjoying the braver members customisations, many of which make me wince even though it’s not my car. Keep it up chaps. 

Jonny, I’m 69,  bugg**ed with arthritis and a back ache to die for but stick with the BoXa.  We all reach the wrong end of the telescope (to quote Billy Connelly) but want to make the most of what time I have. So sad to see you have to leave BoXa ownership.  Best of luck with whatever you move on to.

8 hours ago, Jonny A said:

Thanks Guys. 

Not going far, now have a Cayenne Coupe due for delivery next weekend.  So when I say sensible............

Ooo...I really like them! I'm sure you will enjoy it and of course you also had chance to enjoy your 718! Let us know how the Cayenne goes. 

23 hours ago, Jonny A said:

hopeless in my view especially given the rows of blank switches.

What does this mean?  How would less switches appreciably increase storage space? Do you mean cabin space or luggage space?  I’ve always thought the 981 was excellent for cabin space and had perfectly adequate luggage space (I do our weekly supermarket shop in mine most weeks).

Anyway, good luck with the Cayenne, the wife wants me to follow a similar route (swap Boxster for Cayenne) but I’m resisting 😎.

Looking at the number of blank switches it would be quite possible to have a couple of slim storage slots either side of the gear lever about right for a phone  or pair of glasses. I don’t mean anything major like a top box 😂😂

Anyway I’ll let you have an update on the Cayenne after a few weeks, no lack of storage there 😉

Smallest to biggest?

Best of luck with your new choice - I also run a Macan and they truly are superb cars. If only the doors were a little shorter to allow them to open wider in modern car parks where each bay seems to be filled with SUVs, the 718 would be easier to get out of, gracefully!

Happy

Archived