PDK box

bandit_287

i find mine a little clunky for the first few miles in the morning (5.30) so cold,ive also noticed just yesterday on a club run while running it hard a little hydraulic squeak between gear changes which made me take notice.havnt heard it before ???

zaga

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

I can feel my PDK box go into first gear when coming to a stop in auto mode, I can’t feel any of the other gears engaging. It appears slightly worse when the box is cold. Is this normal? It’s only a very slight clunk, nothing dramatic.

I too think they all do that.  I'm getting my PDK oil changed next week, along with a major service.  I'll let you all know if it comes back any smoother. :)

24 minutes ago, Araf said:

I too think they all do that.  I'm getting my PDK oil changed next week, along with a major service.  I'll let you all know if it comes back any smoother. :)

what millage you at araf

I can feel it too, but nothing dramatic, not even a clunk.

That all said, mine is a 987.2 box and I have heard/read that the 981/718 PDK boxes are even smoother.

Whatever the service manual says, a PDK oil and filter change every 10,000 miles or so would not do any harm and is not expensive in the scheme of things.

2 hours ago, CliveH said:

I can feel it too, but nothing dramatic, not even a clunk.

That all said, mine is a 987.2 box and I have heard/read that the 981/718 PDK boxes are even smoother.

Whatever the service manual says, a PDK oil and filter change every 10,000 miles or so would not do any harm and is not expensive in the scheme of things.

have you priced the kit never mind the dealer labour ??

2 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

have you priced the kit never mind the dealer labour ??

987.2 has a 6yr / 60k clutch fluid change and a 12yr/ 120k gearbox oil change.(981 and 718 is 12 yr /120k for both )

don’t know about the oil change but the clutch fluid change is about  £200 at opc and requires piwis to open valves and had to be done with the gearbox at a certain temp.  

I am in my 2nd PDk 987.2.  The above sounds normal to me although the effect is reduced if you can slightly lift on the brake as it changes down. 

Run up to roundabouts is where it seems to be most noticeable to me. 

5 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

what millage you at araf

99k miles.  PDK services is supposed to be at 120k miles but I'm hoping it will help cold gear changes by having it done early.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I asked OPC how much a replacement PDK box costs and its not that bad I think. They said something just short of 6 grand I think it was 5650 but don't quite me. That is on an exchange basis so you cant have any external damage on your old one. The insidecan be chewed up because they just give it a quick glance. A new bog standard manual box for my vanilla 996 c2 is over 10 grand so that gives you an idea why I think its reasonable. 

2 hours ago, ATM said:

When you getting this done?

It was done this week.  It might have smoothed the gear changes slightly, but that might be a placebo effect of knowing it has been done.  I've only driven it a couple of times since I got the car back but the hesitancy when cold doesn't seem as bad.  Time will tell....

14 hours ago, ATM said:

If anyone is interested I asked OPC how much a replacement PDK box costs and its not that bad I think. They said something just short of 6 grand I think it was 5650 but don't quite me. That is on an exchange basis so you cant have any external damage on your old one. The insidecan be chewed up because they just give it a quick glance. A new bog standard manual box for my vanilla 996 c2 is over 10 grand so that gives you an idea why I think its reasonable. 

That’s interesting because I’ve seen plenty of threads on Pistonheads (and similar) where PDK owners have been quoted £10k plus (£16k in one example I can recall)  for a replacement box (all be it some on the 911 version, but I understand the PDK is common to both). This combined with the fact that they seemed to be a black box and even a simple (relatively) internal sensor issue does not seem to be fixable, lead me to conclude the Warranty was pretty essential (very low probability but unaffordable cost).  A £6k cost , whilst expensive might modify this equation somewhat, Humm more investigation required.

2 minutes ago, ATM said:

About what?

🙂 only so far as confirming the cost with my OPC. OPCs have been shown to not be the most reliable sometimes when it comes to providing info.  My warranty runs another 14 months but if my OPC confirms this cost prior to that it might affect my renewal decision.

1 minute ago, Greenman said:

🙂 only so far as confirming the cost with my OPC. OPCs have been shown to not be the most reliable sometimes when it comes to providing info.  My warranty runs another 14 months but if my OPC confirms this cost prior to that it might affect my renewal decision.

Confirm with them and let us know.

How much is the warranty - I've never had one?

3 minutes ago, ATM said:

Confirm with them and let us know.

How much is the warranty - I've never had one?

There is an option of a one year extension but for two years I paid this last March:

The two year warranty extension would be £1190.00 and then an additional £285.00 if you would like Porsche Roadside assistance.

Yeh I think it is reasonable value, and I’ve had 2 drivechain mounts changed, plus cabin fan resistor packs changed so I have had some value.  It’s just it ties you to Porsche parts exclusively. E.g  battery goes belly up you are tied to a £400 Porsche replacement rather than a superior £150 third party option etc.

thats one of the reasons i warrenty as well, never bothered with any previous cars as i can always fix myself , guys in Us beenign quoted $15 k , one guy on RL sold his spyder cheap recently as he had a small issue and that was his quote...

7 hours ago, Greenman said:

E.g  battery goes belly up you are tied to a £400 Porsche replacement rather than a superior £150 third party option etc.

My original MOL lasted 7 years.  The replacement (MOL)  was £234 from OPC.

More expensive than normal?  Yes.  However, Bosch don't last well when they are left for weeks on end without being used, either.

Archived