Unusual coolant leak

972.5boxster

Has anyone any experiences with the metal  distribution pipe springing a leak? (piece 10 (or 12)) on diagram. 

I took my 1997 2.5 out for quick run over the weekend and after firing it up today noticed the coolant warning light on and the level just below min. 

Poked my head underneath and low behold, coolant dripping (see photo). I couldn’t jack the car up today but managed to get the covers dropped on one side and saw a steady drip smack bang on the “y” where the 2 sides merge in the transmission tunnel. Surrounding areas seems dry. 

All other posts I have read seem to show leaks from the pipes nearer the rads. 

Any thoughts/experience appreciated. 

Thanks

Neil

3E2C0ABB-FD0B-43CD-A31B-1EA9B7D543EB.jpeg

6A6EC20B-E1A8-4D3A-9FB2-5D0F224FD88C.jpeg

Rarely if ever read about the coolant pipework leaking on a 986. Out of interest how many miles on your car? It is a 1997 so one of the earliest examples. 

Problem with leaks is where you see a water is not necessarily where the leak is coming from, have you actually taken the covers off and traced it back to the location you suggest or is it a best guess?

My 2004 986 had a coolant leak. I took it to my local garage who stuck it on the ramp, found out it was a cracked pipe, stuck a new one in and the coolant hasn't budged since and that was 2 months ago.

It took me some time to trace a true leak source on mine. After changing one of the hoses, as it had gone soft too, it actually turned out to be cracked spring clips (6 on the parts drawing above) on both the trailing end of the rad hoses back to the Y piece you mention.  Found this out after it was still leaking when the hose had been changed and a fresh clip fitted to the lower hose (9 on diag).  Didn't want to drain down the coolant again so soon so have fitted a supplementary jubilee clip so it clamps to the flare on the upper pipe along side the original failing clip back to the Y piece which seem to have finally solved it.  Strangely it was only leaking when under pressure.

Good luck tracing.  You can get a UV reactive dye to put in the coolant and the use a UV black light torch to trace back the leak source if it really isn't clear after a good inspection.

UV dye is a good shout. I have an hour booked a local “rent a ramp” place when I’m back from hols to get the cover off and look properly.

it’s not bad timing as I plan to do the water pump/belt and flush the system anyway. Just want to be sure I can fix it in one go!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so further to this, I have had the under-tray off today. 

cleaned off all the muck and coolant residue from the hard metal y pipe I posted in the diagram above and started it up. 

Found my leak....it’s dripping from what looks to be a chip in the pipe. Steady drip drip.

I wondered if anyone has seen this before? 

Also, what are people’s thoughts on being able to repair the pin hole rather than replacing the entire pipe? 

56F13C4C-9884-473C-962B-BDFE6434C86D.jpeg

22DC757A-859C-4D84-BCC3-729BD9A2BB7D.jpeg

That is unusual. I'd have a look at products for mending central heating/hot water pipes. You can get tubes of clear sealant for bodging dodgy joints and combined with a jubilee clip over maybe some of that sticky black exhaust wrap would probably seal that fine.

Archived