Not your normal spinlock bolt thread...

charlieboy2608

Like a real wally I attempted to install the spinlock bolts without inserting it into a piece of plastic or similar the result being it has fallen into the vehicle below its dedicated position.....grrrr

My question is how much dismantling is required to retrieve this bolt?

I've already tried a magnet and a small claw without success!

1 hour ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Like a real wally I attempted to install the spinlock bolts without inserting it into a piece of plastic or similar the result being it has fallen into the vehicle below its dedicated position.....grrrr

My question is how much dismantling is required to retrieve this bolt?

I've already tried a magnet and a small claw without success!

You might be better off trying to find out what bolt has been lost and order a new one, starting to dismantle could be a nightmare and time consuming 

I will probably buy another as you suggest-its the shouldered bolt that fits the spinlock.....but just wondered if anybody has made the same mistake and actually did dismantle to retrieve!

Where-ever the bolt has landed it does not interfere with the roof operation thankfully!

Hey Simon,

I was going to send you a PM to find out how you got on with the hardtop!

Sorry to hear you having troubles, I don't think the bolts are ferrous so a magnet is of no use.  You could try taking one of the seats out and give yourself a chance but a new bolt sounds so much easier.

12 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

Hey Simon,

I was going to send you a PM to find out how you got on with the hardtop!

Sorry to hear you having troubles, I don't think the bolts are ferrous so a magnet is of no use.  You could try taking one of the seats out and give yourself a chance but a new bolt sounds so much easier.

Hi Rick.

Its mounted on the wall safe and sound in its cover thank you!

My own silly thought especially after id read how i should have pushed the bolt through a plastic bag but thought....hey that looks easy,put bolt on end of allen key and...DROP CLINK CLINK....never to be seen again lol

Yes I will order one if nobody has had the same issue and managed to retrieve......

Hope the sale goes smoothly for you...somebody is gonna get a bargain IMHO

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

IIRC there was a tip about poking a hole in a plastic bag and installing them via that, so it doesn't fall if dropped.

You really wanted to hear that now didn't you :)

I mentioned I should have used this method in my original post ;-)....but yes lesson learnt the hard way...lol

I'd like to know if anybody made the same mistake and how much dismantling is required to recover the bolt though!

I used the plastic bag method, but I also didn't realise they were left and right specific so had to undo which is a much bigger faff and swap over as I had install the wrong way which is very very easy to do, so make sure you look the for R and L clearly indicated lol.

16 hours ago, the baron said:

I used the plastic bag method, but I also didn't realise they were left and right specific so had to undo which is a much bigger faff and swap over as I had install the wrong way which is very very easy to do, so make sure you look the for R and L clearly indicated lol.

15 hours ago, Boxob said:

Can you check with the other bolt whether it's magnetic? 

I got the left and right bit correct lol....

Apparently not magnetic......

Archived