Tyres (again) with Porsche 111 inspection

lofi

The fronts on my car are PZero and whilst they have a bit of life left in them they are cracked, feel hard and don't grip as well as I'd like.  The rears are also PZero and have plenty of life left in them.  My intention is to change the fronts to Michelin PS4s, which are N rated.  So the car will have N rated tyres but different brands. I'm pretty aware of the 'issues' with different brands on different axles but my real question is whether the 111 check just looks to ensure trod depth and N rated or whether different brands on different axles would be a fail?

Unfortunately not.   You have to have a full set of same brand N rated tyres. In fact even the ‘N’ rating needs to match.  So if you have PZERO N0 on the rear you cannot put PZERO N1 on the front.  I had exactly the same issue as you last year and deferred changing the fronts for a couple of months until I had had the Warranty renewal. My fronts were still legal at this point but only just (2mm approx).  After renewal I then put the PS4S on the front.

On the cracking front, unless severe, it apparently has no impact on grip or safety.  If severe then speak to Pirelli, they have changed a number of people’s tyres on here/Pistonheads for this reason.

22 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I prescribe some drag starts and drifts in the coming weeks 🙂 

Are you suggesting that the superior Michelin tyres will keep the front end planted, whilst the inferior Pirelli will be left scrabbling around for grip at the back?🤫

9 minutes ago, mneil said:

Are you suggesting that the superior Michelin tyres will keep the front end planted, whilst the inferior Pirelli will be left scrabbling around for grip at the back?🤫

Donuts?

51 minutes ago, mneil said:

Recipe for measuring the density of the local hedgerows, backwards ....  

Lofi, I may be able to help both of us out. I’ve just had a screw through one of my PZero rears and, as they’re down to 4mm I decided to jump to a full set of the Michelin PS4S now. That will leave me with a perfect set of PZero N0 fronts lying around. They’ve got a perfectly even 5.5mm left on them (reflecting the amount of time they spend on the M25!). I’m in BODIAM TN32 if that’s of any use.

1 hour ago, Flyferrari said:

Lofi, I may be able to help both of us out. I’ve just had a screw through one of my PZero rears and, as they’re down to 4mm I decided to jump to a full set of the Michelin PS4S now. That will leave me with a perfect set of PZero N0 fronts lying around. They’ve got a perfectly even 5.5mm left on them (reflecting the amount of time they spend on the M25!). I’m in BODIAM TN32 if that’s of any use.

That could be a win win. Let me measure the tread depth on mine tomorrow. Could you have a look at the date on yours, any cracking on the edges?

I'll have a look tomorrow morning when I strip the old weights off ready to have the new tyres mounted. The car was delivered to me in March '16 and from memory the tyres are dated about a month before that. Mine have shown no sign of cracking at all (I do wonder if that was a bad batch or even year of production) and the car is garaged when at home so no sun damage.

10 hours ago, Flyferrari said:

I'll have a look tomorrow morning when I strip the old weights off ready to have the new tyres mounted. The car was delivered to me in March '16 and from memory the tyres are dated about a month before that. Mine have shown no sign of cracking at all (I do wonder if that was a bad batch or even year of production) and the car is garaged when at home so no sun damage.

Checked mine and they are 4.3 average across them, edges are cracked and are N1 whereas the rear are N0, so this is all sounding good.  I'l drop you a PM to take this out of the thread.

Archived