Caliper Bleed Screws

Rooose

I think I have a slight weep from one of my caliper bleed screws and I am thinking of replacing it along with the others as they are all a bit rusty.

Has anyone purchased these parts before? Genuine parts seem very pricey, whereas you can get HEL or other makes at a fraction of the cost.

Any reason not to go for non oem? 

Also, just to be sure, the 987 needs M10x1mm screws?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, topradio said:

Ok, great, thanks.👍

It says they are not compatible with a 987, don't see why not though unless anyone knows any different? 

Might have to contact the seller....

It doesn't say they fit the 986, either but they do.  I think the seller just hasn't bothered listing all the vehicles they will fit.  For example he lists these for the 997 and they will be the same for the 987.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-997-Front-Stainless-Steel-Brake-Caliper-bleed-screws-Brembo-Calipers/282514372263?fits=Car+Make%3APorsche&hash=item41c72b36a7:g:KtEAAOSw9eVXVYOH

Stainless steel with aluminium calipers will corrode more than standard steel bleed screws. Look up dissimilar metals on Google. 

Why don't you get standard steel ones and just grease the threads before fitting them, preferably with aluminum grease. I've done just this previously and have never had them seize ever again. 

On my ancient Rover (Buick) all aluminium engine, the factory manual said to use a thread sealer on any thread into the ally. And it certainly works. Without it, the small (1/4" UNC) bolts that hold the water pump on will shear when it comes time to replace it. With the sealer, they come out easily - even after many years. The stuff they recommended is 3Ms Scotch-clad 776. It looks and smells like a clear cellulose varnish. I'd guess there are products that do the same today, and are more easy to get.

Of course if you have your brake fluid changed by the book, the bleed nipples may not get time to corrode badly. They also tend to be plated, unlike bolts.

56 minutes ago, sa utah said:

Watch out if you’re  replacing the on caliper brake pipes (the small ones that connect the front pistons to the rear ones ) as they can be seized and will damage the threads.  

No, just the outside bleed screw at the top.

I have now ordered 8, with the plan of changing them all round, although the thought of stripping threads makes me think I may pass this one to my indi!

Having said that, having loosened and tightened back up the weeping screw, it all seems to be ok now. I will keep an eye on it and decide what to do.....

BTW, I went for standard steel (zinc plated) ones in the end.

Archived