Snapped underbody studs

Theo86

22 hours ago, Theo86 said:

Yesterday evening I snapped off two of the sill studs on the rear undertray trying to remove the 10mm plastic nuts.

What is a good solution for replacement?

Drill and use self tapping screw? 

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

Nutserts will be better than a self tapper

Good call, I hadn't thought of that 'reverse' solution to this problem i.e. making a way ro screw in an M6 bolt rather than the stud on the shell.  Neat. 👍

12 hours ago, pipsqueak said:

Thought about these as an option but some studs are on curved surfaces making a strong bond tricky and cleaning the surface to get a good bond could damage outer paint/rust inhibiting treatment, although they are not exactly loaded or stressed just supporting the under trays etc. 

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Good call, I hadn't thought of that 'reverse' solution to this problem i.e. making a way ro screw in an M6 bolt rather than the stud on the shell.  Neat. 👍

Thank you all...looked at a video on nutserts today. Seems it might be a good option. Need to see the best package to buy. 

Anyway you can recommend best option. This is really only for the snapped off studs...

I don't think the rear tray has ever been off the car. 20 years old car...these studs rust up pretty bad and almost cement onto the plastic nut. IMO stainless steel would have been better. My friend with an old Audi RS4 has the same issue.

Archived