Sill 'Boxster' decal.

EVO Chris

Hi All, my aluminium Boxster decals on the sills (as you open the doors) have started to look a little ropey on my 987.2, I purchased some stainless steel engraved sill covers but look a little generic and tacky compared the original moulded cover, even though they are quality. I wondered if anyone has ever removed the original aluminium oval Boxster decal and put something else in the oval gap. I can imagine the originals will be destroyed upon removal. any thoughts??

You can take the metal section off if you are careful. It's not much thicker than kitchen foil. It's probably looking tatty due to filiform corrosion (google it). You can rub it down with some very fine wet-and-dry if you do so carefully, re-laquer it and stick it back on. 

An easier alternative would be to take it off and paint it, which could look quite good. A well-done gloss black would look good against the matt black plastic surround. 

I agree, I would be surprised if you could get the silver part off without damaging it. I tried with mine. Admittedly a 987.1, so maybe different. I paid £60 to £70 for the pair from Silverstone OPC, from memory. I can dig out the invoice for the part numbers if you want, let me know......

Mine is a 987.1 Cayman and the silver pressing in the middle came off without much fight at all. A bit of gentle leverage with a small screwdriver around the edge and it lifted up. 

There is a return fold around the edge of the pressing which strengthens it quite a lot. If you can get the screwdriver behind it you can apply a reasonable amount of force. 

Cheers all, I will have a go at the weekend, I have some label remover that dissolves adhesive and will try that first, I think they have had it anyway as there seems to be lumps underneath that have deformed the surface, I may be able to salvage, if not I will have a look at some custom graphics.....

Archived