Boxster 987.1 steering wheel upgrade to MF. Coding question

xxx9alex

Hello guys.

A small question regarding my 987.1 steering wheel swap.

I have a 987 Boxster from 2007. I saw many videos with a the steering wheel upgrade and decided to do the same. Bought the wheel and airbag from a 2013 cayenne and installed it. The horn didn’t work first, but after coding the car “multi steering wheel - installed” all worked fine. The only issue I have is that when turning off the engine, the horn beeps once. Any ideea on how to solve this by coding ? I m using the piwis 2. Many thanks!!

Image.jpeg

I've seen similar, but not quite the same. The problem I encountered fitting a 981 wheel to a 987.1 was that the horn has a magnetic  switch which operates in the opposite sense to the 987.1. The fellow I did the coding for ended up taking the case off the airbag and turned the magnet to reverse the polarity. 

In his case, the horn would come on as soon as the coding was set to MFSW, and would only stop when the airbag was held down.

Hello Richard,

The horn works after coding the car, but it contiunes making a short signal (short horn beep) after shuting the engine of (removing ignition). Will I have to do the same procedure reversing the polarity or can this been solved otherways.

Thanks! 

I seem to recall having to change the steering column control unit, and the clockspring to the types used on the 987.2, but I'm not sure if there is a difference between the Cayenne wheel and the 981.  What you are getting is really strange.  Like I said in the PM, I'll take a look at my notes in the morning and let you know.

If it’s any use I have a brand new 987.2 clockspring )with the heated wheel connections) that I bought but never took out if the box.  

If it comes down to needing that part let me know.  Happy to move it on for a “reasonable drink” 

I would say the issue is caused by the Cayenne wheel. Even though it looks the same it obvioulsy isn't in some way.

Would be worth getting a Boxster or Cayman wheel same year as your car and trying that.

Any chance you have the part number off the wheel you fitted.  

that wheel looks exactly the same as the mf one I fitted to my 987.2.  That came from a 991. In that case it was a plug and play (coding for mf aside )

6 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Any chance you have the part number off the wheel you fitted.  

that wheel looks exactly the same as the mf one I fitted to my 987.2.  That came from a 991. In that case it was a plug and play (coding for mf aside )

sure 

7pp.419.091.cj

prod date: 11.01.2013

TRW 6260502113011036

Prod Nummer: 3836178

Hmm I was expecting something like 997-347-803-42-A34 (that's the number off the wheel I used) - I would have thought a cayenne specific wheel would have been 955...  or 957..... - Idea was to lookup against that part number and see if it was against a specific model.

I wonder what that beep is trying to say.... perhaps the "confusion" is that the wheel is PDK and the car isn't....... 

Archived