Side air intake vent

Christopher2110

5 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Does anyone know if the vents on the side of the 986 were different depending on MY? Facelift vs. non-facelift?
Some listings online seem to show that they are and then others do not

They are different pre and post facelift.

Just now, Christopher2110 said:

Thanks. I was after a cheap set to spray thinking they'd be £20 or so. Wrong! 😶

Welcome to Porsche ownership!!!

It pays to do a lot of legwork finding out who original suppliers were and then finding sources of their after market parts but some specific model parts can be really quite expensive.  Breakers are a good source though but they know how common or rare parts are as well.

15 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

They are different pre and post facelift.

It seems the just the styling of the vent is different, but the size is the same so should fit post pre and post facelift cars. Do you know if thats the case?
I also can't work out how to @ you in a post 😖

4 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

It seems the just the styling of the vent is different, but the size is the same so should fit post pre and post facelift cars. Do you know if thats the case?
I also can't work out how to @ you in a post 😖

If you are on a PC/laptop (haven't a clue on phones and tablets) hold ALT and type 0189 on the number pad, not the numbers across the top, to get ½.  Otherwise copy and paste. 

I believe they are interchangeable in terms of the bodywork but others would need to confirm @T911UK ?

There are quite a few on this search from a breaker I've use several times with no issues:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ssn=stevestrange007&LH_PrefLoc=&_from=R40&_trksid=p2499338.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xside+air+vent.TRS0&_nkw=side+air+vent&_sacat=0

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If you are on a PC/laptop (haven't a clue on phones and tablets) hold ALT and type 0189 on the number pad, not the numbers across the top, to get ½.  Otherwise copy and paste. 

In Windows press ALT then type 0189 on the keypad. 

On a phone bring up the keyboard, press the numeric key then hold down the 1 key until common fractions appear.

On a Mac enable the character and emoji viewers in the menu bar, make sure digits are enabled in 'customise list'  - you will find vulgar fractions in there...

😇

2 minutes ago, rowbos said:

On a phone bring up the keyboard, press the numeric key then hold down the 1 key until common fractions appear.

Thanks for putting this up again.

For Android, works on my Samsung work phone but not on my own older Sony...  Sorry for being awkward, but you're getting to know me by now 😉

7 minutes ago, rowbos said:

In Windows press ALT then type 0189 on the keypad. 

On a Mac enable the character and emoji viewers in the menu bar, make sure digits are enabled in 'customise list'  - you will find vulgar fractions in there...

😇

Perfect, also found I can customise my Safari tool bar. Who know!? :thumbsup_still: 

3 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Perfect, also found I can customise my Safari tool bar. Who know!? :thumbsup_still: 

All this time we have when WFH to learn these new things!.  There used to be a rule of thumb that 90% of users only use 10% or less of the functions in most software packages.

FYI...if you purchase directly from the breaker you may need to only pay one delivery charge.

I purchased 2 items from Douglas Valley last week and this was the case.

https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/prestige-parts/?b-porsche:ct-air-intake-vents:xt-porsche-boxster-986

Also if their is a disparity between the ebay listing and website price use to your advantage...call and speak to Steve Strange

34 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Thanks for putting this up again.

For Android, works on my Samsung work phone but not on my own older Sony...  Sorry for being awkward, but you're getting to know me by now 😉

I was assuming a modern era Smartphone of course - I should have said 😆

34 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

:)

I've always been a Windows man, never really used a Mac but a brand new Macbook Pro 16" was offered to me a couple of weeks back (ordered for someone involved in my company who then left before taking delivery) so I thought why not - I was going to install Windows on it using Bootcamp but thought I'd give it a go with macOS first, I've stuck with macOS for now - it works really well and I'm used to it and able to do everything I need and more, some funky stuff in there.  I have an external 28" monitor setup each side of the MBP and use the laptop with it's Retina display in the middle - so three monitors which works well, also added a Magic Mouse.  Anyway apologies for the off topic comments - but I am still playing with stuff like the programmable touch bar etc - I like a new techie toy to play with :)  

29 minutes ago, Theo86 said:

FYI...if you purchase directly from the breaker you may need to only pay one delivery charge.

I purchased 2 items from Douglas Valley last week and this was the case.

https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/prestige-parts/?b-porsche:ct-air-intake-vents:xt-porsche-boxster-986

Also if their is a disparity between the ebay listing and website price use to your advantage...call and speak to Steve Strange

Good call on the postage!

38 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

All this time we have when WFH to learn these new things!.  There used to be a rule of thumb that 90% of users only use 10% or less of the functions in most software packages.

I can 100% believe that, half of us don’t even use or phones to their full potential!

The face lift ones are body coloured from factory and look great, but sit in a ridiculously brittle plastic frame with 3 tabs. Every time you remove it, almost guaranteed something will break on the frame. I expect most people with face lifts have had the off side rattle at some point as that side is used to expel hot air from the engine bay when secondary fans come on. Only the near side is an actual intake so doesn't come under the same heat cycles.

5 hours ago, rowbos said:

:)

I've always been a Windows man, never really used a Mac but a brand new Macbook Pro 16" was offered to me a couple of weeks back (ordered for someone involved in my company who then left before taking delivery) so I thought why not - I was going to install Windows on it using Bootcamp but thought I'd give it a go with macOS first, I've stuck with macOS for now - it works really well and I'm used to it and able to do everything I need and more, some funky stuff in there.  I have an external 28" monitor setup each side of the MBP and use the laptop with it's Retina display in the middle - so three monitors which works well, also added a Magic Mouse.  Anyway apologies for the off topic comments - but I am still playing with stuff like the programmable touch bar etc - I like a new techie toy to play with :)  

I do like the Magic Mouse, very clever piece of kit.

Other half has a MacBook with Windows installed. Just doesn't make sense to me but hey ho. Only thing I tend to struggle with is Excel compatibly, and also that it doesn't capitalise a 'i' as I type (as i've just remembered replying to this!). Unless you've figured that one out too?!

39 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

I do like the Magic Mouse, very clever piece of kit.

Other half has a MacBook with Windows installed. Just doesn't make sense to me but hey ho. Only thing I tend to struggle with is Excel compatibly, and also that it doesn't capitalise a 'i' as I type (as i've just remembered replying to this!). Unless you've figured that one out too?!

Yep, I find some of the Microsoft apps don't feel quite as polished as they do under Windows but nothing major...

My 'i' capitalises in Microsoft Word for sure, and perhaps some other apps - but not everywhere and not on the forum for example.

I found this...

Archived