Engine bay access 981

daz05

Here is a video I posted in the how to section documenting access to the top of the engine bay, what a pain!  Fortunately servicing is not completed through this panel, it's applicable to both the 981 and 718 and worth a watch only if to help you to decide never to do this!  Please consider subscribing to help us grow if you haven't already. :)

Good stuff Daz.  I’ve avoided doing this as yet; however  looking at your vid I think one thing I would definitely do would be having a sheet/blanket over the boot lid whilst removing the metal plate.  I thought I had seen this done previously without removing the internal carpet? Maybe just releasing it at the top, she’s that seem possible?

7 hours ago, Greenman said:

Good stuff Daz.  I’ve avoided doing this as yet; however  looking at your vid I think one thing I would definitely do would be having a sheet/blanket over the boot lid whilst removing the metal plate.  I thought I had seen this done previously without removing the internal carpet? Maybe just releasing it at the top, she’s that seem possible?

Yes watching it back I feel quite lucky but at the time I felt it was all under control.

I think its possible but accessing the bolts at the front would be a faff as there is a metal bar blocking full access to turn them quickly. Reinstalling probably more difficult too. The carpet trim removal is really easy anyway 2 min job.

10 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

I'm on my fourth Boxster now and I've never seen the engine in any of them. Your excellent video has reinforced why!!

Yeah not sure if you saw the previous vid but I had to change out the changover valve for my PSE hence why I was in there.

18 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

I'm on my fourth Boxster now and I've never seen the engine in any of them. Your excellent video has reinforced why!!

This is my third one and I’m the same! However I wouldn’t mind accessing the engine once a year or so to give it a good clean

a positive for the spyder......you have access to the carpet etc under the hood without having to mess around with the hood as with a ‘normal’ boxster 

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Yeah not sure if you saw the previous vid but I had to change out the changover valve for my PSE hence why I was in there.

Yes I did which is what prompted me to check mine and realise one has seized. I intend to get that fixed under warranty and now I've seen your engine access video I'm even more pleased I went for the extended warranty, I'm not sure I know enough swear words to get me through that procedure!!

14 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Yes I did which is what prompted me to check mine and realise one has seized. I intend to get that fixed under warranty and now I've seen your engine access video I'm even more pleased I went for the extended warranty, I'm not sure I know enough swear words to get me through that procedure!!

Sorry yes I remember now.  Long day...

and Ha ha, sad thing is I enjoy these projects.  When they go well of course.

Archived