Sports Exhaust System

pimp my box

I am wondering if my sports exhaust system is working on my 718, is there a big difference in noise level when pressed. On tick over I don't notice any difference when engaged, and little difference on revving the engine, I have never heard the 'Pop' sound in sport mode. Am I expecting too much or is it not working??

9 hours ago, pimp my box said:

PDK, I really struggle to notice any difference...

not sure the way it works with PDK as mine is a 981 Manual but def pops and crackles...it seems to do it in 'switch off mode' in mine from cold and then calms down when warmer until you then push to switch PSE on

Hoow old is the car, mine was brand new and the sound developed after 500 miles or so...I didnt notice the difference when brand new TBH

Car is new, 900 miles 600 on motorway driving home from showroom in Scotland. Car is booked in for wheel repair at DL in Swindon next week I will ask them to take a look. Yes I curbed it after just 900 miles (Tw@t)

42 minutes ago, pimp my box said:

Car is new, 900 miles 600 on motorway driving home from showroom in Scotland. Car is booked in for wheel repair at DL in Swindon next week I will ask them to take a look. Yes I curbed it after just 900 miles (Tw@t)

I dont know about other users who have PSE and a new car but mine definately 'opened up' post 500 miles or so

also its spits & craskles on lift off on the manual so I can make it do it, not sure if you can with PDK so easily

• 2 months later...

With Mrs T now having a 718 in manual I can compare between hers & my 718s with PDK -  her 718 does not appear to snap, crackle or pop even in Sport+ mode - despite my best efforts!

Not saying it doesn't sound good but the difference must be the engine as my 718s does not have sport chrono & only the sport button but does all of the above.

14 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Pops and crackles are due higher revs on overrun .

I dont think the pse on the 718 is that great . No where near what its like on the 981 and tbh id wished id saved my money

I don't have any direct experience to compare with - I am happy with both cars though - maybe just out of ignorance!

I actually had some man maths going through my head when Mrs T got her 718 to perhaps move to a 911 but I really enjoy my car and drive it daily with the roof down as much as possible (i.e. when it is not raining) - might scratch the itch but not anytime soon

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, mark-yorkshire said:

I don’t get any pops or crackles but my Boxster T PDK is a 2020 model with a GPF.  Car is on 3800 miles and so is run in. Pops and crackles would be nice though. 

Could always try Rice Krispies 😂.

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect there has been some tweaking of the designs for the 718 exhaust systems over the past few years. This might account for the somewhat different reports we get on 718 exhaust sounds.

I have had 2 different 718s as courtesy cars and one in particular was very crackly/ loud (it had PSE).  The other not so much (again with PSE).

A lot does depend how you drive it.  My 981 is only just discernible at idle but over 4K revs is very apparent. If for example you accelerate hard in 1st gear to 7k revs, then suddenly lift off, if you don’t get significant pops and crackles then  something is not right!

On 11/29/2020 at 11:34 AM, Greenman said:

I don’t know for sure, but I suspect there has been some tweaking of the designs for the 718 exhaust systems over the past few years. This might account for the somewhat different reports we get on 718 exhaust sounds.

I have had 2 different 718s as courtesy cars and one in particular was very crackly/ loud (it had PSE).  The other not so much (again with PSE).

A lot does depend how you drive it.  My 981 is only just discernible at idle but over 4K revs is very apparent. If for example you accelerate hard in 1st gear to 7k revs, then suddenly lift off, if you don’t get significant pops and crackles then  something is not right!

I must try harder 😄

Archived