Interesting video on exhaust back box drone

myfirstboxster

11 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I'm amazed at how much noise from an exhaust seems to cause so much discomfort... the best solution to avoid exhaust noise is to leave the standard exhaust on. Otherwise if you aren't happy with the sound at a particular rpm, just use a different gear...

Oh if only it were that simple! Mine was 20years old, blowing at the seams and extremely rusty. Unfortunately my pockets aren't quite deep enough for the £2300 that my friendly OPC quoted for a new one. Oh and that was minus the clamps, as of course they were extra 😋

54 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Oh if only it were that simple! Mine was 20years old, blowing at the seams and extremely rusty. Unfortunately my pockets aren't quite deep enough for the £2300 that my friendly OPC quoted for a new one. Oh and that was minus the clamps, as of course they were extra 😋

Ah yes the 30p clamp..... Funny that. 

It's a lot of dough for an exhaust. I assume that was back box only.....

34 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Ah yes the 30p clamp..... Funny that. 

It's a lot of dough for an exhaust. I assume that was back box only.....

Yes just the back box. TBH I'm now fairly happy with my 'cheapo' Top Gear exhaust.  It's very well made and definitely a  higher quality than the eBay sorts. Refitted it this morning, went out for a spin and it sounds epic from 4000 onwards.

27 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Yes just the back box. TBH I'm now fairly happy with my 'cheapo' Top Gear exhaust.  It's very well made and definitely a  higher quality than the eBay sorts. Refitted it this morning, went out for a spin and it sounds epic from 4000 onwards.

Mine wasn't so cheap at £600 but compared to £2k bargain. 

Glad you're happy. I find it sounds much better under load than compared to free reving

Had the revolution exhaust mod done to my boxster 987s, gives a great sound when giving it some but absolutely zero drone on the motorway, can't fault it one bit, my exhaust was in mint condition though so was an easy decision to make, I looked at aftermarket but to get something without drone starts getting expensive. 

• 1 month later...

Just an update on my eBay special exhaust. The drone has now mellowed to a very acceptable level. This may have something to do with the fact that I drove it down to Bournemouth and back (motorway on the way down and smaller roads on the way back) and drove it like I stole it :)  Getting back home I noticed a sparkling silver dust all over the rear bumper - obviously out of the exhaust - and since then the exhaust sounds beautiful. The lower end or the rpm scale it sounds like the engine is a lot larger than a 2.5 and once you start getting above 3,000 rpm it sounds just...epic. I think that is the right word for it. 

Best thing is there is no more drone - or at least none that I can notice (and it used to make me feel like my ears were bleeding).

My original exhaust was completely shot after 22 years on the car and I didn't fancy over 1,800 quid for a new exhaust seeing as that is probably about half of what the car is worth! (Cat S after the crash). This cost me 150 pounds from eBay, another 100 for clamps and bits from Design911 and 200 pounds fitted by my favourite mechanic who took his time to remove the old exhaust ever so carefully and renewed the bolts on the rest of the exhaust because they were very rusty and ready to fall apart. I could have done the work myself but didn't feel like crawling under the car and swearing for a whole weekend..

The car now sounds beautiful and well worth the money. Very very happy indeed.

I had  Subaru with a milltek. Droned extremely annoyingly just about at the mway speed limit. Not that I ever kept to it. I used to  do a regular long trip so I used a motorcycle baffle. Worked fine. In fact I left it in once for several months. It def cost a couple of ponies but there were plently left still. Would look weird in a 2.7 t p.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:28 PM, RedBarediver said:

Just an update on my eBay special exhaust. The drone has now mellowed to a very acceptable level. This may have something to do with the fact that I drove it down to Bournemouth and back (motorway on the way down and smaller roads on the way back) and drove it like I stole it :)  Getting back home I noticed a sparkling silver dust all over the rear bumper - obviously out of the exhaust - and since then the exhaust sounds beautiful. ...

Best thing is there is no more drone - or at least none that I can notice 

Really interesting. Is this the answer to drone, just drive the damn thing?  People do report that Carnewal sound better after 500-1000 miles. 

16 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Really interesting. Is this the answer to drone, just drive the damn thing?  People do report that Carnewal sound better after 500-1000 miles. 

I certainly noticed that putting 500-1000 miles on my Toyosport exhaust and SS manifolds really took the edge of the more obnoxious aural elements, particularly around town. I’ve stopped noticing it on the motorway, although if I listen, it is clearly still there around 2700 rpm. I think too many panic when they first put them on and don’t give them time to bed in.

That said, I still wouldn’t want it on a daily driver.

13 hours ago, Nobbie said:

I certainly noticed that putting 500-1000 miles on my Toyosport exhaust and SS manifolds really took the edge of the more obnoxious aural elements, particularly around town. I’ve stopped noticing it on the motorway, although if I listen, it is clearly still there around 2700 rpm. I think too many panic when they first put them on and don’t give them time to bed in.

That said, I still wouldn’t want it on a daily driver.

I'm noticing some changes with the noise as it's bedding in. The drone is there but I've not minded mine. 

3-4k is pure s3x though

On 8/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, Menoporsche said:

I don't profess to be an expert but that has certainly helped mine. Maybe it also helps that I have a 5 speed manual as I don't cruise in the range where these exhaust generally make your ears wince. 

Above 3,000 rpm it sounds bloody fantastic though. 

The little video below doesn't really do the sound justice but will give you an idea of how it sounds. I started off in second gear behind a cyclist and just gradually sped up. Didn't do any mad speeds and think I took it just over 4,000 rpm or thereabouts.

Next time I'll make sure to mount the GoPro somewhere it can really pick up the sound from the exhaust.

Archived