Interesting video on exhaust back box drone

myfirstboxster

Imagine blocking your cats, U bends or manifold with those. 

Don't see the point, you are restricting the exhaust flow which is not good you have got rid of the drone but you've also reduced the noise, people buy these to be noisy, no?, just don't buy cheap eBay exhausts in the first place if you can't live with the drone

My OEM original is starting to split so am looking at a Dansk which looks stock and doesn't drone and is not noisy, and its not hugly more expensive than messing around with a cheapo chinese one that you will have to fettle with and never be happy with and just end up buying another exhaust so might even end up costing you more money in the long run

Had a Dansk to replace my OEM exhaust and it was great but not as loud as I expected. I then had an internal bypass done and it made it drone. One of the reasons I ended up selling the car to webuyanycar and not privately. 

1 hour ago, Madlil said:

Had a Dansk to replace my OEM exhaust and it was great but not as loud as I expected. I then had an internal bypass done and it made it drone. One of the reasons I ended up selling the car to webuyanycar and not privately. 

Dansk do several types of exhaust. You just have to pick the right one. The most common you see on retail sites is the sausage shaped one and the shiny OE style which looks almost identical to the OE box. Neither are particularly loud. 

8 hours ago, edc said:

Dansk do several types of exhaust. You just have to pick the right one. The most common you see on retail sites is the sausage shaped one and the shiny OE style which looks almost identical to the OE box. Neither are particularly loud. 

Yes mine was the sausage, pretty average really. On my BMW 435i I have the M Performance exhaust and it is fantastic - quite similar sound to a PSE In Sport mode. Research on forums and YouTube clips are the key to finding what’s right for you I guess. 

the best noise I have heard on a Boxster is the Carnewal, and my understanding is that these do not drone. 

I bought a couple of these when I fitted my Toyosport exhaust as I was concerned the drone would be annoying on a long trip. I found that the initial drone moderated over a couple of thousand miles and I didn’t need them. If I was ever looking to sell, then I might install them just to make the sale easier and avoid the hassle of putting the old back box back on.

It’s really just adding back in a bit of the back pressure present in the OE exhaust, so as a cheap alternative to buying an OE exhaust, a Toyosport and this mod will be a good option for those not wanting the full on noise.

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

If I was ever looking to sell to Stevie Wonder, then I might install them just to make the sale easier and avoid the hassle of putting the old back box back on.

CFA. 😉

Cheers, Baggers.

It's becoming a fairly common mod on the twin silencer cheapy exhausts. I've done it myself will moderate success. Mine are inserted after the u bends where they attach to the silencer....so no worries about it being fugly.

Don't know if it restricts the exhaust or not. I suppose it depends how restrictive the OEM one was in the first place. I can't tell any difference in performance, but then I do drive my Boxster like a granny on sedatives 😁

On 5/27/2020 at 1:07 PM, Nobbie said:

Cheeky c*nt, you can CFA that where the sun don’t shine😀

Did you not know that @bagss2 was the sole arbiter of taste..... in his opinion anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I fitted an eBay special exhaust just last week and I have to say between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm there really is a very noticeable drone. I went ahead and got myself two so-called DB Killer baffles and will fit them today after work.

I like the sound of the exhaust below 2,000 rpm and above 3,000 rpm though. Also, the baffles have these restrictor plates in them that I just know are going to rattle like a bucket of marbles falling down a staircase and annoy the living cr*p out of me. I am thinking of removing the restrictor plates and just fitting the baffles without them. Yes I know that will probably not really make it quieter, but I don't really mind a bit of a fruity exhaust tone and I don't want to create unnecessary back pressure if I don't have to. I am hoping that the baffles will cancel out the resonance in the airflow between the two tailpipes and get rid of the drone while still keeping the sound. Obviously that would be awesome but I'm guessing that is a pipe dream or there would be tons of videos on the internet telling you to do just that.

Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll give it a try and keep my GoPro and the decibel meter on my iPhone handy so I can record the difference it makes (or doesn't make...)

29 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

I fitted an eBay special exhaust just last week and I have to say between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm there really is a very noticeable drone. I went ahead and got myself two so-called DB Killer baffles and will fit them today after work.

I like the sound of the exhaust below 2,000 rpm and above 3,000 rpm though. Also, the baffles have these restrictor plates in them that I just know are going to rattle like a bucket of marbles falling down a staircase and annoy the living cr*p out of me. I am thinking of removing the restrictor plates and just fitting the baffles without them. Yes I know that will probably not really make it quieter, but I don't really mind a bit of a fruity exhaust tone and I don't want to create unnecessary back pressure if I don't have to. I am hoping that the baffles will cancel out the resonance in the airflow between the two tailpipes and get rid of the drone while still keeping the sound. Obviously that would be awesome but I'm guessing that is a pipe dream or there would be tons of videos on the internet telling you to do just that.

Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I'll give it a try and keep my GoPro and the decibel meter on my iPhone handy so I can record the difference it makes (or doesn't make...)

Be interesting to see how you get on. I have the baffles, but found the drone moderated over time to a tolerable level for a weekend car.

Hi

The seam on my standard box has started to blow, I think as the result of a past impact on that corner. I have JB welded it up, and later in the week when the car is finally back on the road I will find out if that has been successful or not.

Berni

18 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

that's a shame as motorway cruising is between 2-3000 rpm so not ideal for motorway travel.

Berni - I had the back seam on mine go about a month ago. I nailed it on an on-ramp and it got noisy...

I got a second hand one of ebay and then had to get a few small splits fixed but the old one was splitting at the seams all the way around. Yours may be doing the same - might be worth crawling under for a look? The corners on my old one were cracking too.

It's hardly surprising that these dual silencer exhausts drone. I've just cut mine open in an attempt to modify it somewhat. It turns out that they have absolutely no baffling in them whatsoever, just a perforated pipe and some fibreglass wadding linking the inlet to the outlet exhaust tips - so straight through really.

At least there's no worries about creating any unwanted restrictions (over and above the OEM exhaust) by adding motorbike baffles etc!

On 6/16/2020 at 4:02 PM, Nobbie said:

Be interesting to see how you get on. I have the baffles, but found the drone moderated over time to a tolerable level for a weekend car.

I fitted the baffles - for about 5 minutes! I hated them. They completely destroy any sound and whistle and make a sucking sound. Absolutely awful. I tried without the restrictor plates and that is also no good. 

Horrible really. I shall just have to live with the drone. 

I saw a post a while ago about a guy that bought a different type of baffle, cut it in half and fitted it inside the pipe so you can't see it from outside. He reckoned he fitted ony on the one side and that eliminated the drone whilst retaining the nice fruity exhaust tone. I shall look for it because i'm happy to keep experimenting until i find something that works but for now it sounds great for a weekend car as you say. We plan to do an European road trip to visit family in Austria once we are allowed to travel again, but then I plan to avoid motorways and just drive the scenic route (and keep it above 3,000 rpm!)

5 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

I fitted the baffles - for about 5 minutes! I hated them. They completely destroy any sound and whistle and make a sucking sound. Absolutely awful. I tried without the restrictor plates and that is also no good. 

Horrible really. I shall just have to live with the drone. 

I saw a post a while ago about a guy that bought a different type of baffle, cut it in half and fitted it inside the pipe so you can't see it from outside. He reckoned he fitted ony on the one side and that eliminated the drone whilst retaining the nice fruity exhaust tone. I shall look for it because i'm happy to keep experimenting until i find something that works but for now it sounds great for a weekend car as you say. We plan to do an European road trip to visit family in Austria once we are allowed to travel again, but then I plan to avoid motorways and just drive the scenic route (and keep it above 3,000 rpm!)

I originally had them fitted in the tail pipes but like you said they sound a bit strange. I then moved them to the 'c' pipes and placed them after the cats. This was a much better solution and is probably where they will stay. Drone has been reduced to an acceptable level.

I'm amazed at how much noise from an exhaust seems to cause so much discomfort... the best solution to avoid exhaust noise is to leave the standard exhaust on. Otherwise if you aren't happy with the sound at a particular rpm, just use a different gear...

Just now, Cheddar Bob said:

I'm amazed at how much noise from an exhaust seems to cause so much discomfort... the best solution to avoid exhaust noise is to leave the standard exhaust on. Otherwise if you aren't happy with the sound at a particular rpm, just use a different gear...

just a thought. The Nissan leaf might be right up your street fellow noise complainers. 

Archived