AC Problem?

Stu67

Your only problem is that I think there's a backlog of a couple of months, to get your car into the workshops with most if not all OPCs.

5 hours ago, Araf said:

Your only problem is that I think there's a backlog of a couple of months, to get your car into the workshops with most if not all OPCs.

I'm booked in next Weds at Porsche Silverstone for diagnosis. Hopefully bearing in mind it's had the a/c service last year and the 111 point check 3 weeks ago there's not much room for them to claim it's an item that won't be covered by warranty....

• 2 weeks later...

Update. Took the car in today and the service advisor says they can see slight dye spots on the edges of the condensers from when it was refilled by Reading last year.

He couldn't confirm whether this was loss of gas or just illuminating the dead flies or whether it was definitely the condensers that had failed.

The choice was to re-gas the system at £150 and find out where it escapes from or pay £1,160 for new condensers which of course aren't covered by warranty which I renewed 3 weeks ago. I've asked whether it can be noted on the invoice that they're uncertain whether this is the problem, so that if the aircon fails again I can ensure I'm looked after accordingly for further replacement parts.

Surely it's not that hard to diagnose where the gas is escaping from but guess they don't want to take the time to explore. I'll be pretty hacked off if the condensers are fine and it transpires that the pipes/seals/compressor are at fault.

There are loads of places that will top up your AC system for about £40 and will tell you where it's leaking. 

Most will top it back up for free after you get it repaired.  Condenser replacement is quite easy, as long as you use genuine Porsche parts, it wont affect any aspects of your warranty.

9 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

There are loads of places that will top up your AC system for about £40 and will tell you where it's leaking. 

Most will top it back up for free after you get it repaired.  Condenser replacement is quite easy, as long as you use genuine Porsche parts, it wont affect any aspects of your warranty.

Indeed but was hoping it might be covered by warranty and now it's more convenient just to get Porsche to undertake the work as I've left the car with them. I was just hoping for a more in depth investigation as to whether the failure is.

Archived