AC Problem?

Stu67

Evening all,

Before I start, although having the car for 18 months, I think I've used the AC maybe a handful of times, and even then only to de-mist.

So today, while on a trip to the south coast, and already getting a bit burnt  this week, I was driving top up, A.C. on and noticed it was not particularly cool. When I got home, parked up put A.C. on max and put my hand inside the wheel arches, no fan either side, quick depress of the refrigerant lines indicates there is pressure.

Am I missing something here, or is it a trip to the OPC when they open  - FYI car was serviced just before shutdown, and came back with a clean bill of health.

Stu. 

5 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

just needs a regas

Said every car ad ever, where the AC wasn't working :ninja:

18 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Was AC checked at the service? Possibly just needs a regas.

Hope so, but probably not !(OPC service), it's the fans not running bit that confuses me, is there a refrigerant pressure switch that effectively disables the system if the pressure is low?

2 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Highly likely you have a hole in your condenser and you've lost gas.

That was my first thought, but checked the refrigerant fill valves and the system is pressurised, couldn't say to what pressure, but it isn't empty.

26 minutes ago, Stu67 said:

That was my first thought, but checked the refrigerant fill valves and the system is pressurised, couldn't say to what pressure, but it isn't empty.

Mine was the same got worse and worse and that was the cause.

Are you saying the internal cabin fan isn’t working (whether aircon on or not)?   

if so it could be stuck, this is a well known issue if so.  Usually it can be freed manually by opening frunk, removing plastic cover, then on the right hand side at the back is the fan enclosure, you can clip the top off, remove the filter and put your hand in and give it a spin. Takes five mins, there are a couple of threads on here with photos but I couldn’t find them with a quick search.

if this is the issue but the above doesn’t fix it then unfortunately you need either a new fan motor or a fan regulator pack.

18 hours ago, Stu67 said:

I think that if the pressure is too low the system won't turn on so no fan.

If they're the original condensers they will be toast.  Take a look through the grills, is there any dark discoloration in the corners indicating a leak.

Take it for a re-gas with dye added and then look around for green florescence under UV light.  Mine looked like an alien massacre had taken place. Most places offer a 12 month free re-gas so once you have replaced the leaking part you can get it refilled at no extra cost. That's what I did.  

Mine were failing after 4 years which seems pretty normal.  I did use OEM parts which were a little pricey but will use aftermarket next time as they can't be any worse.  Oh, and don't forget to replace the dryer (its behind the plastic liner in the drivers side wheel well).  

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

Are you saying the internal cabin fan isn’t working (whether aircon on or not)?   

if so it could be stuck, this is a well known issue if so.  Usually it can be freed manually by opening frunk, removing plastic cover, then on the right hand side at the back is the fan enclosure, you can clip the top off, remove the filter and put your hand in and give it a spin. Takes five mins, there are a couple of threads on here with photos but I couldn’t find them with a quick search.

if this is the issue but the above doesn’t fix it then unfortunately you need either a new fan motor or a fan regulator pack.

If the fans aren’t blowing then highly likely to be this, literally a 2 minute job to free the stuck fan with a prod of a screwdriver

3 hours ago, topradio said:

I think that if the pressure is too low the system won't turn on so no fan.

If they're the original condensers they will be toast.  Take a look through the grills, is there any dark discoloration in the corners indicating a leak.

Take it for a re-gas with dye added and then look around for green florescence under UV light.  Mine looked like an alien massacre had taken place. Most places offer a 12 month free re-gas so once you have replaced the leaking part you can get it refilled at no extra cost. That's what I did.  

Mine were failing after 4 years which seems pretty normal.  I did use OEM parts which were a little pricey but will use aftermarket next time as they can't be any worse.  Oh, and don't forget to replace the dryer (its behind the plastic liner in the drivers side wheel well).  

Hi,

As far as I'm aware they are the originals, so probably well past their best (2014 Car, 36K) - Had a good look thru the intakes earlier today, and there is no obvious impact damage, so, If it is the condensors that have failed due to corrosion or a mechanical failure, I'll let the OPC deal with it (Under warranty). I didn't want to involve the OPC unless it was going to be covered TBH, I'm far happier doing my own spannering and using a local indy to purge the old refrigerant and refill when parts are fitted.

For the recorded the cabin blower is working fine.

Thanks.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:56 PM, topradio said:

Mine were failing after 4 years which seems pretty normal

Yep. My 2015 had the condensers replaced in January last year as part of the presales work 

Mine failed after 3 years in an area not in direct stone damage. The OPC was pretty hopeless didn't check it at £1K  service so I had to take it back, then re-gassed it which lasted 2 weeks. If they had removed the front bumper they would have see the leak site (s)

Replaced both sides with aftermarket units and changed the drier whilst it was depressurized and then had it regassed

Drier is behind the wheel arch inner offside wheel arch. Again off the shelf after market job

My rads looked 100% through the grille, I took it to the OPC 3 times for the air con issue and it was this, they are just in a vulnerable position and are practically a consumable on the Boxster / Cayman unfortunately.

28 minutes ago, steveyvuk said:

My rads looked 100% through the grille, I took it to the OPC 3 times for the air con issue and it was this, they are just in a vulnerable position and are practically a consumable on the Boxster / Cayman unfortunately.

That's where fitting grills comes in 😃.

My 981 will be 8 years old this October; I protected then from new, first with Zunsport and later with my own internal grills. I  apply liberally with ACF 50, spraying from the front.

I fully realise that this message now spells the "kiss of death" for mine 😂.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to round this one out (For now anyway......)

Dropped the car at Silverstone OPC Yesterday, Visual inspection showed nothing, system was purged and pressure checked, all O.K. So re gassed it yesterday morning, kept it until this afternoon pressure checked again, went around with the UV light, no visible signs.

They were under no illusions that 6 year old condenser's are on borrowed time, but equally without a visible leak that's not caused by damage or neglect, the chances of the Porsche Warranty  coughing up is 0% - We will see, did me a discounted rate on the inspection/re gas, a little more than the Kwik fits of this world, but not massively so. And I got a brand new Cayman for a couple of days (Nice car, naff engine, I thought turbo lag like that was a thing of the 80's!!!!!)

Stu.      

18 hours ago, Stu67 said:

And I got a brand new Cayman for a couple of days (Nice car, naff engine, I thought turbo lag like that was a thing of the 80's!!!!!)

Bet it was a base 2ltr model.

We know that earlier Boxsters develop pinhole leaks in the pipes over time, it will be interesting to see if this is also the case with 981s and if so after what period.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, Stu67 said:

Before I start, although having the car for 18 months, I think I've used the AC maybe a handful of times, and even then only to de-mist.

Just a note on this.     

it is likely in your case that you have lost gas through one of the seals.  If you don’t use the aircon much they tend to dry out, ideally you should use it regularly. 

Drove my Boxster for the first time since renewing the Porsche Warranty 3 weeks ago and transpires my air con doesn’t get cold either. I’d guess the seals may have dried out as I rarely use the a/c as I always have the roof down. If I recall Reading charged me over £300 this time last year for an “a/c service’ which I presume is just a very expensive re-gas.

i have Zunsport grilles so doubt the rads have got holed, what are the chances this will be covered under the warranty?

28 minutes ago, Alex_L said:

Drove my Boxster for the first time since renewing the Porsche Warranty 3 weeks ago and transpires my air con doesn’t get cold either. I’d guess the seals may have dried out as I rarely use the a/c as I always have the roof down. If I recall Reading charged me over £300 this time last year for an “a/c service’ which I presume is just a very expensive re-gas.

i have Zunsport grilles so doubt the rads have got holed, what are the chances this will be covered under the warranty?

Very good.  I've had aircon condensers replaced under warranty before.  Remove the zunsport grills before going in or they may try and blame the restricted airflow for the problem.

48 minutes ago, Araf said:

Very good.  I've had aircon condensers replaced under warranty before.  Remove the zunsport grills before going in or they may try and blame the restricted airflow for the problem.

Great, I’ll get it booked in. Only just got round to re-fitting the grilles after taking it in for the 111 point check 

1 hour ago, zagamuffin said:

If you did the 111 check before renewing it was assed as perfect then, imagine unless it’s holed from a stone etc they would cover it 

Yep, the 111 point check was undertaken about 2 weeks inside of my existing warranty expiring.

Archived