First start in a few years

sa utah

I`m going to look at a 987 which has been parked in a family friends garage for the last 5 or 6 years and not started,   My thoughts are after checking the levels etc that i`d like to spin the engine over without starting it.   Does anyone know the best way to achieve this?

My idea is to pull a fuse or relay to stop either the fuel pump ir ignition.

Any experience?

Many thanks

I'd do a number of other things first, drain the tank and fresh fuel, change the oil an check for any debris in the old filter. Try turning the engine by hand with a socket on the crank pulley first to check it moves.  Some people have also reported possible chain guide 'sticktion' that causes the plastic guides to break as the chain first moves scattering debris through the engine.

Turning manually is a good shout. Remove the plugs so there's no compression. It will be far easier to turn this way.

You could even squirt a little diesel into each combustion chamber as it's thick and will help avoid too much metal on metal scraping. 

I won’t be able to get under the car and go to the extent of removing Spark plugs etc unfortunately so just want to turn it over without out starting first.  I know it was running fine before going into the garage though. 

I think the idea of turning it over with a socket on the crank Is a good first action just to free gently any issues in the engine, only need a single rotation and could do that with the plugs in from to panel behind the seats. Once that’s done, remove the fuel pump relay and crank over for 5-10 seconds to get the oil around the engine.

How much fuel is in there? If it’s fairly low, probably get away with topping up with a bit of 99 RON rather than going to the hassle of draining etc.

I’ve left my car 6 months On a charger and it’s just started first time and oil pressure came up quickly.

3/4 full of fuel.   I’ve been this morning and disabled the fuel pump before cranking it over. Sounded fine so I fired it up.   It’s going on a trailer in the morning and will receive. Some attention over the next few months as a new project 

1 minute ago, sa utah said:

3/4 full of fuel.   I’ve been this morning and disabled the fuel pump before cranking it over. Sounded fine so I fired it up.   It’s going on a trailer in the morning and will receive. Some attention over the next few months as a new project 

Good luck with the recommission, any pictures?

Archived