Central locking/Alarm

KevM79

I am fairly new to 986 ownership.

I suspect I may have an issue with my door lock mechanism and need you guys to advise!

My key remote has finally died, so the procedure I am describing, is with the manual key and drivers lock barrel:

On locking the car, the Security LED flashes quickly before arming.  While this is happening, I can use the key manually, to lock and unlock the central locking system as many times as I please, but as soon as the system arms and the LED goes to a slow blink, unlocking with the manual key only unlocks the drivers door and does not energise the central locking actuators.  As you know, this then starts the countdown to a siren and the system has to be deactivated by turning the key in the ignition. 

On my car, the system arming, seems to deactivate the central locking trigger within the lock mechanism. 

Is this the normal sequence on other cars, or do I have a possible dead micro-switch within my lock module?

Hi

I think it's the same on my car (2003 facelift Tip). I have to jump in and manually unlock the passenger door by using the handle to open it. The button on the dash will also not work in this scenario.

There is another thread on here where someone has hooked up a cheap ebay door lock kit. I'm not sure how it arms/disarms the alarm though. Or if both doors unlock. 

Edit, the remote can sometimes be brought back to life by soldering on new buttons etc. 

Berni

Yes, I have installed the door lock kit!

Now, I am trying to diagnose the way it (or the entire car) operates after the security system arms.

Something isnt 100% just yet, but I think its the car, more than the kit.

If you have more than one key there’s a place that advertises on eBay ( something like Keyfobrepair) who down refresh on a fib for 35 quid.  If it’s worn buttons or so something easy to repair then it’s a quick way to get up and running. 

but. 986 are known to eventually stop working.  There’s been a few posts on here about it and one of the forum members is a Porsche indy who has done a lot of work on “your options”.  

He may have some insight i think ( and sorry if I tag the wrong person ) it’s @Indi9xx)

Its more the correct function of the manual key though.  Should the Security system priming, deactivate the manual central-locking?  If this is typical, I will double-check my wiring on the kit itself.

8 minutes ago, KevM79 said:

Its more the correct function of the manual key though.  Should the Security system priming, deactivate the manual central-locking?  If this is typical, I will double-check my wiring on the kit itself.

I don’t know for sure but certainly on later cars (987) the system seems geared to remote operation with the manual key slot operation being a get out of jail free in the event of remote failure.  Hence the “countdown” to get the key in. I wouldn’t be surprised if the manual lock behaved differently to the remote locking process  

i guess once the system is armed it goes into that “manual key if you must” mode but as I say that’s all a guess. 

Ok, another thing I had noticed after I got the car, was it seemed to have 2 alarm sirens?  Is that normal?

Once triggered, I had both the ‘car horn’ type and a high pitched alarm siren both sounding.

It may be perfectly normal, but I haven’t heard the high pitch alarm since the key died.  Part of me suspects that I might have a secondary security system interfering in the operation of my locking?

Yes, I found both.  I disconnected the siren and the horn kept beeping 😆 

Im at a loss.  My Amazon central locking unit works flawlessly but once the Porsche  security system kicks in with the dash LED flash, the central locking is no longer energised to the drivers lock module.  The car takes the signal ok, lights flash, interior light comes on and I can even hear a faint click inside the door, but the power to energise the door lock is disabled.

Even with the manual key, it’s the same.  

There is bound to be a simple work-around or bypass, but it’s beyond my DIY capabilities.  

As mentioned, it’d be a great solution to the Porsche finite remote key press problem.

So, this evening my new drivers side door mechanism was fitted, which has solved one minor issue, but caused another?

With the new lock, I can unlock the car manually, energising the central locking so opening the entire car.  Good!

When locking the car manually, if I unlock the car before the Porsche security arms (slow flash on dash led), the car unlocks but double beeps.  If I manual unlock, after the system arms, the alarm sounds immediately when I turn the key in the door.

Im lost!!

...and on further investigation, the orange plug the the bottom of the tilt sensor has no wires attached.

Can someone take a pic of the orange plug next time they are near their car, so I can try and reattach mine please?  I’m not sure of the order on the pins

👍🏻

So, I have spoken with a local Porsche independent yesterday with reference to coding the tilt sensor out of the car.  He told me he could, but unplugging it cause no issues.  My wires have detached, to it is effectively unplugged.

After that, I met with a friend who's father has a Boxster in an attempt to see his Tilt plug wiring, but the car is facelift, therefore his sensor is under the seat.  His central locking does open with the manual key.  Mine didnt, so I believe my door mechanism was faulting as it now operates in the same way that his does, but with the 'double-beep' indicating another fault somewhere.

I have ordered a passenger lock mechanism as the Porsche tech told me 99% of all issues are caused by them.  It was less than £30, so worth a try.  I should have it fitted over the weekend and cant wait to see if my £12 Remote locking hack will work!  

Yes, I don’t get single beep locking unless I induce it by leaving something open.

Its a double beep if I unlock before system arming and full alarm & siren activation the instant I unlock when the system has armed.

I was able to reattach my tilt sensor wiring this evening (thanks again Richard) and I have now replaced both Door lock mechanisms.  The central locking is now acting as I would expect, but the alarm is still alerting me to a fault.

All latches (doors, cubby & both boots) are doing what they should, all handles drop the windows and both alarms are sounding.  I have yet to test the tilt sensor for alarm activation and haven’t tried the interior motion sensor either.

I did discover earlier, that the fuel flap actuator isn’t moving at all.  I’m not sure if that talks to the alarm to raise a fault, but I would assume it more than likely does.

• 1 month later...

sorry to bump an old thread. i have a very similar issue where using the key to unlock the car only unlocks the drivers side and everything else is still locked. 

Could someone point me in the right direction for the part number for the lock mechanism. i have read that there are equivalent VW parts which are identical.

Thanks in advance!

Archived