Post Brexit European Travel - check your insurance for mainland cover

TV8

With all that has happened in the past few months, I recently took a week off and drove down to Amboise in middle France. We took the Tiguan as it hasn't really been used in the past few months and I wanted to put a few miles on it. I realised when getting the paperwork together that as well as my Insurance renewal being due soon, Volkswagen don't give 3 years breakdown cover but we were back before the 12 months ran-out so that was fine.

Just renewing the insurance and there is a schedule of changes including UK only cover for the main comprehensive cover. European driving/usage (not breakdown) is extra on my policy, based on number of days cover required.

A bit of a surprise that one.

Just to clarify...

do you mean the 3yrs warranty on a new VW no longer includes 3 yrs breakdown (as it used to), now it's only 1?

and to add to that there are changes on your car insurance relating to EU travel

I had my car insurance through Porsche/Aviva/Marsh renewal through in July and when I read it, it implied foreign breakdown was included. When I questioned it I was told (by the team manager) that it was no longer included BUT I said 'it specifically states it in the policy booklet you've sent me so either a) I want the correct up to date document or b) I expect to be covered (point of contract)

After I insisted she check with the underwriters (Aviva), she called me back to say it WAS indeed still covered...

Bastids still put my excess up from £400 to £750 covertly mind

4 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

Just to clarify...

do you mean the 3yrs warranty on a new VW no longer includes 3 yrs breakdown (as it used to), now it's only 1?

and to add to that there are changes on your car insurance relating to EU travel

I had my car insurance through Porsche/Aviva/Marsh renewal through in July and when I read it, it implied foreign breakdown was included. When I questioned it I was told (by the team manager) that it was no longer included BUT I said 'it specifically states it in the policy booklet you've sent me so either a) I want the correct up to date document or b) I expect to be covered (point of contract)

After I insisted she check with the underwriters (Aviva), she called me back to say it WAS indeed still covered...

Bastids still put my excess up from £400 to £750 covertly mind

Not my clearest post... sorry about that! 
I was highlighting that driving in Europe is now chargeable for comprehensive insurance on my policy. A territory section has been added to the schedule of changes and it doesn’t include mainland Europe. 

This is a bit of a minefield for me as I drive to Ireland regularly and unless I notify them each time I am third party only. I cannot notify them for each trip and pay, it isn't practical

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

This is a bit of a minefield for me as I drive to Ireland regularly and unless I notify them each time I am third party only. I cannot notify them for each trip and pay, it isn't practical

Hi Terry, is that a recent change? I looked at last years documents and it has changed though not clear from what!

12 hours ago, TV8 said:

Hi Terry, is that a recent change? I looked at last years documents and it has changed though not clear from what!

I think it is, I can only speak for my own policies obviously but I phoned a few companies for clarification and none did blanket cover for Europe with full cover (rather than TP only), now I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

On 8/13/2020 at 8:37 PM, Terryg said:

I think it is, I can only speak for my own policies obviously but I phoned a few companies for clarification and none did blanket cover for Europe with full cover (rather than TP only), now I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

It depends on how much people pay attention to their renewals then after our “no-change” exit from Europe. Unless there are some tarif changes for insurance, charging for driving in Europe is pure profiteering on the part of the insurance companies. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:14 AM, TV8 said:

It depends on how much people pay attention to their renewals then after our “no-change” exit from Europe. Unless there are some tarif changes for insurance, charging for driving in Europe is pure profiteering on the part of the insurance companies. 

Should be fine then, insurance companies would never behave in such a way😉

All of our insurers include at least 30 days EU cover - didn't realise that there were other insurers out there not including it 🤨

Some like to be notified, some don't require notification. It depends on the insurer - most like to know dates travelling and countries travelling to and through, but none of ours are charging extra unless it's over the days included in the policy.

Carlie

7 hours ago, A-Plan Insurance said:

All of our insurers include at least 30 days EU cover - didn't realise that there were other insurers out there not including it 🤨

Some like to be notified, some don't require notification. It depends on the insurer - most like to know dates travelling and countries travelling to and through, but none of ours are charging extra unless it's over the days included in the policy.

Carlie

Thanks for confirming. Mine was included but not sure of duration. I was sent a schedule of changes for the renewal and basically, the cover offered has gone down.

Archived