Hood Fabric Repair

PaulQ

I've bought a cheap facelift hood with a couple of cuts in it. 

Was thinking of doing a repair something along the lines of what this chap did with his MR2 which looks pretty good, but was wondering if anyone on here has done such a thing, and what products they would recommend ? 

https://www.zjstech.net/SpyderTop/repair.htm

Wow I need that vinyl repair style kit, if it works as well as that.  I put a thread up with the observation that my 987 hood has a couple of sharp folds in it, same place either side, one is clearly already severing the threads.  Watching with interest.

Many moons ago I did a very similar thing on an Eunos Roadster seat bolster, that was quite badly damaged. 

Wish I could remember what I used as the repair turned out quite well, and lasted a number of years. 

The blue roof is a bit darker then the pictures show, but I like it and I think it will look smart on my guards red car.

There are a couple of cuts on the drivers side, one around three inches long and the other two, plus a nick in the fabric. The rubber membrane is intact as was confirmed by Steve.

On my current hood the waterproof sheet under the canvas is so tight, there is now way you would be able to push it up enough to put pressure on a repair patch fed through the hole, but thankfully the facelift hood is less taught, so will be able to do this.

Good job too, as the fabric is really thick which is why I guess the hoods last so long, and would be a right bastard to sew.

Have ordered a small piece of fabric for the repair, plus some adhesives, dyes etc, so hopefully will have a go at the repair next weekend.

Archived