Koni Special-Active vs Bilstein B4 Dampers

½cwt

OK, highly unlikely someone has had experience of both on the same car, however any feed back on these two different dampers, both state they are OE standard.  I have weeping on the rear original dampers (20 years and 98k miles) which I've cleaned up before MOT but will require new ones over the next 6 months whether pass or fail.

Special Active are the new name for FSD. I've had these a few years now and a few others here too. They have the dual valving so the idea is you get the comfort of standard like a B4 but the firmness of an M030/B6. 

I would swap all 4 to Koni not just in pairs. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Special Active are the new name for FSD. I've had these a few years now and a few others here too. They have the dual valving so the idea is you get the comfort of standard like a B4 but the firmness of an M030/B6. 

I would swap all 4 to Koni not just in pairs. 

Thanks for that.

I was preparing for a bad MOT outcome which has just been avoided, all 4 coffin arms are advisories....  If I'm taking it all apart it seems wise to do the dampers and if the KONIs fit the bill and also that I've found them at a very competitive price (£164 ea front and £116 ea rear) I may well have to take the plunge along with front tuning forks at least and as I'm doing dampers, drop links too.  Front top mounts and springs are new from earlier this year.

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

That price is dead reasonable I reckon.

Yeah, but still the small matter of £560 to do all 4 (you could pay that for just 2 rear Bilstein's if you don't shop around too much) on top of £300 for coffin arms and tuning forks plus the obligatory drop links and may be rear bump stops (can't find any after market ones other than at Autodoc.).....  Going to be an expensive winter and not to mention the split rear window I was going to do with a new hood and glass window this winter; that idea has vanished.

Archived