Transmission drain and fill plugs OEM numbers

Dodgster

Guys,

can someone let me know the OEM number(s) for the transmission fill and drain plug on. 2001 Boxster S...I need to change the transmission oil and the fill plug is seized (looks like the oil has never been changed) so I don’t believe that the plugs will survive.

Also where’s the best place to purchase these? 

many thanks  

Hmmm, I've had a look for these in the parts catalogue but can't see them at least not in the transmission section....  Looking at Design 911 it gives 900.219.001.30 as a gearbox drain plug but doesn't differentiate between the 5 speed and 6speed which are different boxes but could be same plug...  You'd also need seal 900.123.118.30.

@T911UK do you have any info on this?

Plug is 10 quid and seal is 83p inc vat direct from Porsche- you get 10% off that for PCGB membership ( and often just for asking for it without having to prove membership), and most OPC's will post small parts to you - so you could likely get them for about £20 at a guess from OPC.

7 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Plug is 10 quid and seal is 83p inc vat direct from Porsche- you get 10% off that for PCGB membership ( and often just for asking for it without having to prove membership), and most OPC's will post small parts to you - so you could likely get them for about £20 at a guess from OPC.

I’m just waiting for a callback from Porsche Cardiff. If they have the correct ones (10mm hex) and not the crazy 16mm spline/17mm hex combo found on the 5 speed I’ll go pick them up. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction 

6 minutes ago, Dodgster said:

Guys I’ve just ordered them... total price £18 and some change...far better than what I got quoted by design 911...will be available on Friday which is timely just before the 2 week lockdown..... much appreciated 

Use you OPC as a first option, if you think about it Design 911 (and others) have to order their genuine Porsche parts from Porsche and then need to make a margin.  Makes parts less expensive rather than 'cheap' but you do get a few good cheap surprises from them as there is a variable discount structure in the pricing to the OPCs from Porsche.

Not sure what OPC means however Porsche direct are hit and miss cost wise...they tried to charge me £33 plus vat for what equates to a rubber band that goes around a rear strut mount....luckily the new ones came with it already incorporated so I’m wary of the dealer/stealers and will check other prices first.

Having said that I had a nice surprise this time.....

25 minutes ago, Dodgster said:

Not sure what OPC means however Porsche direct are hit and miss cost wise...they tried to charge me £33 plus vat for what equates to a rubber band that goes around a rear strut mount....luckily the new ones came with it already incorporated so I’m wary of the dealer/stealers and will check other prices first.

Having said that I had a nice surprise this time.....

OPC = Official Porsche Centre i.e. Porsche dealer.  Some Porsche bit are a rip off for what you get I agree but the least rip of for Genuine parts is likely to be the OPC.  After market is a different matter all together and you can save hundreds on some parts like suspension components.  The suspension rebuild I'm currently doing has only run to about £1K in parts, from Porsche for genuine parts I'd be over £2.5k....

The best option is to find who makes them for Porsche.  Two recent examples; front top mounts are made by Sachs.  Porsche genuine ones are about £150 each.  Can get a pair on eBay from Mister Auto for £50.  Only difference Sachs on eh box and you can see where the Porsche markings were removed prior to the final metal surface treatment being applied; and an ABS sensor, ordered the Bosch item by the Bosch part number and it even came with the Porsche part number on the cable but half the price of the genuine supplied item even though obviously an identical part.

Do you research it really pays of on these cars.

I would echo check dealers price first then see what else is available rather than the other way around, especially true of eBay where genuine second hand parts are often more than double the price of genuine new ones. 

Also sometimes the part numbers are “non Porsche” typically first part is a mix of numbers and letters rather then the 9xx or 000 type.  They are sometimes VW parts and they can be had cheaper.  

it’s not just Porsche that do this.  Some are More blatant.  Years ago mate was a service manager at a Ford dealer.  

starter motor for an xr4 same part as that for a Sierra cosworth. When they ordered the part in it came with two retail stickers for the box.  Cosworth one was 75% higher than the other apparently. 

Some 3rd party parts are a well trodden path.  But I do wonder sometimes when sellers claim “oe quality” for something if it is in fact anywhere near the right shape let alone the same spec. 

guess you have to take every one as it comes. 

Archived