2015 Porsche Boxster GTS FIRST DRIVE REVIEW

718as

Sells it to me. 2 things strike me watching that.

1) when the GTS came out IIRC it was cheaper than ordering an S with the same options - now they're way more expensive. Sadly.

2) although I would be perfectly happy with a 981 with PDK I seem less interested in gen 2 987s with PDK. I dunno - just seems the PDK suits the 981 better to me.

3) no-one expects the Spanish inquisition. I mean that's a damn good video of a damned nice car.

It is one of the best sounding cars ever IMHO.....of course there is no logic to why it sounds emotionally that much more than a standard S......but it just does......more than the sum of its parts ...........an F430 in Race mode has a similar emotional feeling (just something about it lost in the latest versions) ........I class myself very lucky to have owned both 😉

That noise is also undoubtedly the main reason Porsche reverted back to NA in the 718......ie the 4 pot engine was even more “exposed” based on what it had replaced.......some acts are hard to follow, some are impossible and unfortunately despite eventual the engine revisions to address the “issues”, emissions will mean that 981 GTS will hold a unique place in Porsche history 

7 hours ago, Jonttt said:

It is one of the best sounding cars ever IMHO.....of course there is no logic to why it sounds emotionally that much more than a standard S......but it just does......more than the sum of its parts ...........an F430 in Race mode has a similar emotional feeling (just something about it lost in the latest versions) ........I class myself very lucky to have owned both 😉

That noise is also undoubtedly the main reason Porsche reverted back to NA in the 718......ie the 4 pot engine was even more “exposed” based on what it had replaced.......some acts are hard to follow, some are impossible and unfortunately despite eventual the engine revisions to address the “issues”, emissions will mean that 981 GTS will hold a unique place in Porsche history 

I know you love the GTS and yes it sounds better than a 981s without PSE but it sounds exactly the same as mine on film (see intro below).

I do have the same mechanical spec mind you right down to the sound symposer behind the seat. It's funny I've driven a few 981s and they all sound a little different, I put it down to the PSE, whether fitted or not and it's working condition, they are a little temperamental.

The 2.7 actually sounds the sweetest when it's properly wound up imho.

And the GTS mapping ?

as I keep saying Porsche sprinkled a little bit of fairy dust on the GTS lol......more than the sum of its parts.......ad in the alcantara and mmmmmmmmm 

1 hour ago, Ringmaster999 said:

@daz05 What’s involved fitting the sound symposer? I’ve just had the PSE retro fitted on my 2.7 and if the sound symposer is another aspect worth fitting then I’d be interested in doing so 👍

It's not so easy, engine cover off and airbox out.  You need to buy the GTS airbox on the right side with the connection for the symposer.  The symposer is reasonably priced but the airbox is pricey and finding a used one is extremely difficult because it's specific to the GTS. You could in theory modify your own to take the symposer tubing but that could be messy.

6 minutes ago, Jonttt said:

And the GTS mapping ?

as I keep saying Porsche sprinkled a little bit of fairy dust on the GTS lol......more than the sum of its parts.......ad in the alcantara and mmmmmmmmm 

The bespoke engine management mapping, they claim is GTS specific and not part of the sport chrono pack 😜, either way it certainly doesn't change the raw sound, some say it introduces more pops but as you can hear in my video mine pops and bangs very enthusiastically just as that GTS.

The symposer is part of that fairy dust, it isn't well documented but my opinion remains, the benefits equate to the parts as fitted. Had they fitted x73 as standard, tweaked the rear chassis and steering as they did with the 718 then it's a very different story.

Archived