Washer jets, alarm siren and drains

daz05

So I've replaced the siren today as the other one was displaying systems of the battery being broken.

The siren chirps if I leave something open but I can't get the alarm to go off even if I leave window open and out my hand in.

Am I correct in saying that the internal battery has to be fully charged via the alternator before the alarm will sound? I didn't use the car after I fitted the new siren so I'm thinking that the internal battery may not be charged enough yet. 

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, michelin said:

So I've replaced the siren today as the other one was displaying systems of the battery being broken.

The siren chirps if I leave something open but I can't get the alarm to go off even if I leave window open and out my hand in.

Am I correct in saying that the internal battery has to be fully charged via the alternator before the alarm will sound? I didn't use the car after I fitted the new siren so I'm thinking that the internal battery may not be charged enough yet. 

Thanks in advance.

A good siren should be ready to go immediately as the internal battery should have some charge. Where did you get the replacement siren? 

3 hours ago, michelin said:

OPC Daz. 
I set the alarm and left one of the windows open for about 2 mins, put my hand inside and nothing. The siren still chirps off you leave say the bonnet open. 👍🏼

Then it should be ok. The interior proximity sensor isn't all that great to be honest, the easiest way to test your siren is to copy what I did in the video by opening your glovebox when the car is locked.

Your red light on the dash should flash like mine also, if you disconnect the siren you will see it changes behaviour.

Cheers Daz. 
I’ll try that next time I’m down the unit. 
Incidentally, any idea how to remove the front louvres where the condensers are please? I’d like to give the black inside there a good clean and a coating of Gtechniq C5 trim renewer. 
Thanks 😎👍🏼

6 hours ago, michelin said:

Cheers Daz. 
I’ll try that next time I’m down the unit. 
Incidentally, any idea how to remove the front louvres where the condensers are please? I’d like to give the black inside there a good clean and a coating of Gtechniq C5 trim renewer. 
Thanks 😎👍🏼

First item in this one.

https://youtu.be/2jFXBv7CG98l

Undue the clips underneath and pull as I do per item.

So I made a trip to the unit yesterday and the newly fitted siren now works fine, I opened the glovebox as you said Daz and hey presto! The siren sounded. Thanks for you help.

Windscreen washers! It seems as there are many part numbers for these and they all look the same.

I swapped the ones from my Dads Golf Mk5 to the 981 yesterday and they worked no problem.

I had a quick look on ebay last night and when you put Richards part no.s in a few come up but they are exactly the same shape etc and are heated. 

Cardiff Audi have sold over 600 of these units lately so may go for a pair. Type in 4G0 955 988A (last six digits the same as many other part no.s hmmmmm). It does say right handed but they look the same, Is this a typical marketing ploy by those car manufacturers again! Surely not!! 

2 hours ago, michelin said:

Cardiff Audi have sold over 600 of these units lately so may go for a pair. Type in 4G0 955 988A (last six digits the same as many other part no.s hmmmmm). It does say right handed but they look the same, Is this a typical marketing ploy by those car manufacturers again! Surely not!! 

How much did they charge you? on their Ebay link they are £15.95 each including postage:

Audi A6 Right Heated Front Washer Jet 4G0955988A | eBay

I haven’t ordered them yet but have enquired about the detail of the listed re ‘right’ side. I think both left and right are the same for our cars. Also asked if I buy two can the price be reduced as they can save on postage. 🙋🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, michelin said:

So I made a trip to the unit yesterday and the newly fitted siren now works fine, I opened the glovebox as you said Daz and hey presto! The siren sounded. Thanks for you help.

Windscreen washers! It seems as there are many part numbers for these and they all look the same.

I swapped the ones from my Dads Golf Mk5 to the 981 yesterday and they worked no problem.

I had a quick look on ebay last night and when you put Richards part no.s in a few come up but they are exactly the same shape etc and are heated. 

I think they have slight differences to account for the spray angle required for the windscreen.

Archived