Washer jets, alarm siren and drains

daz05

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, lofi said:

Hi Daryl - did you go for any particular brand of that part, the prices vary quite a bit?

Hi, VW OEM, I got mine from a salvage yard 2019 car.

Worth spending a bit more I think to avoid spending twice 👍

58 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Ages ago I downloaded the 718 (982) introductory technical info from Porsche US. In the electrical section it specifically says "The heatable washer nozzles have been omitted from MY17."  

Ah, very interesting! So the fancy 718 4.0ls won't have them 😂😂😂

No idea, I'm afraid. The accountant's choice of washer jet perhaps?

The washer jets Daz fitted look very much like the ones I retrofitted to my Audi RSQ3. The standard ones are dual jet, but I found the ones on the Q8 were a fan jet, and work much better. They were also heated, and only about £12 from an Audi dealer iirc.

6 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The washer jets Daz fitted look very much like the ones I retrofitted to my Audi RSQ3. The standard ones are dual jet, but I found the ones on the Q8 were a fan jet, and work much better. They were also heated, and only about £12 from an Audi dealer iirc.

Fair do's. Just seems a bit odd on a premium car. Thanks for coming back on it.

3 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

£12 is good, got the part no.?

On 1/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, BrianJ said:

"The heatable washer nozzles have been omitted from MY17."  Discuss!

Over the (many) years I have had cars, firstly without heated jets and then with, the heated jets don't actually seem to make much difference. Unless you use a winter screenwash concoction, in my experience the screenwash liquid freezes in the pipes (or reservoir) a long time before it gets to the jets. And if you do use winter screenwash, you don't need the heated jets. And in hard water areas, the heated jets tend to cause the jets themselves to block up with hard water deposits, which is an added pain. So more of a marketing thing, I suspect.  

On 1/3/2021 at 11:10 PM, daz05 said:

£12 is good, got the part no.?

On the RSQ3 and Q8, they are handed.  I expect VW/Audi have a standard punched hole size for the jets and, as I said, they look the same size and shape as the ones you fitted, but I obviously haven't tried fitting them to a 981.

Left - 4M0 955 987
Right - 4M0 955 988

I bought them in March 2019, and they were £11.00 each including VAT.  I got them from Crewe Audi, who I use for mail order Audi parts.

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

On the RSQ3 and Q8, they are handed.  I expect VW/Audi have a standard punched hole size for the jets and, as I said, they look the same size and shape as the ones you fitted, but I obviously haven't tried fitting them to a 981.

Left - 4M0 955 987
Right - 4M0 955 988

I bought them in March 2019, and they were £11.00 each including VAT.  I got them from Crewe Audi, who I use for mail order Audi parts.

Nice one cheers Richard

On 12/15/2020 at 12:44 AM, daz05 said:

What do these issues have in common, nothing except, that I made a video about fixing them!  The washer jets solution is one I am especially proud of!  Appreciate likes and comments on the channel if you are able.  Thanks guys.

Thanks for this in relation to drain points 👍 👍

I bought a 2014 981 last month (in the window between lockdowns) and noticed it had a "wet dog" aroma on way home.  Nothing inside felt wet though and after a night in the garage the smell had disappeared and hasn't returned.  Was a bit concerned though and the internet led me to drainage issues.

I tried pouring a bit of water into what I thought were the drainage points resulting in it draining from behind front wheels only.  I can see now I was using the same place as you are using in the video here.  And had then been assuming that I'd got blockages somewhere preventing it draining in front of rear wheels.  However, looking at your previous video led me to try some water in the holes shown there - resulting in water draining from rear points 🙂

Incidentally if it's of any help to anyone trying to clear out the deeper located drains with air, 16mm outside diameter flexible plastic piping fits snugly into the drain hole.

1 hour ago, DeRo said:

Thanks for this in relation to drain points 👍 👍

I bought a 2014 981 last month (in the window between lockdowns) and noticed it had a "wet dog" aroma on way home.  Nothing inside felt wet though and after a night in the garage the smell had disappeared and hasn't returned.  Was a bit concerned though and the internet led me to drainage issues.

I tried pouring a bit of water into what I thought were the drainage points resulting in it draining from behind front wheels only.  I can see now I was using the same place as you are using in the video here.  And had then been assuming that I'd got blockages somewhere preventing it draining in front of rear wheels.  However, looking at your previous video led me to try some water in the holes shown there - resulting in water draining from rear points 🙂

Incidentally if it's of any help to anyone trying to clear out the deeper located drains with air, 16mm outside diameter flexible plastic piping fits snugly into the drain hole.

Hi, no problem and hope it helps!

Just to clarify, in my first video, I featured the main drain hole and it did drain at the front and rear on my car, in the second video where I featured the secondary drain it only drained at the rear.  Are we in alignment?

If not you maybe have some more work to do.

3 hours ago, daz05 said:

Hi, no problem and hope it helps!

Just to clarify, in my first video, I featured the main drain hole and it did drain at the front and rear on my car, in the second video where I featured the secondary drain it only drained at the rear.  Are we in alignment?

If not you maybe have some more work to do.

I'll do a thorough double check tomorrow and update after, thanks...

17 hours ago, DeRo said:

I'll do a thorough double check tomorrow and update after, thanks...

Update.

Both nearside drains appear ok, draining quickly at the rear with the deep "main" drain also draining at the front.

The deep offside main drain is also draining quickly at the rear but the higher drain (as per video in this thread) is not draining at the rear.  It is however, draining quite slowly at the front. I don't understand how it's getting to the front without a drop from the rear but it definitely is, I've got paint trays under front and rear collecting the water. 

I've had a go at clearing it with some stiff electrical cable which goes in about 30cm before meeting resistance.  This hasn't worked, next step is some air down there I think.

Thanks daz05

I remember reading somewhere that Porsche in their wisdom, put filters on the 981 drain exits.  Blowing air down probably won't clear a blockage if it's bad, something to bear in mind.  Haven't ventured underneath mine to see if the filters are accessible but you may have a better result blowing air up through the drain exits so debris can escape.

Best advice is don't park under trees especially ferns, they clog your drains in no time.

I've seen the fittings on the end of the drains described as non return valves rather than filters.  Would make more sense to me - why would draining water need filtering.  Although not sure why non return valves are required either.  If they are filters though, I agree, it may prevent blockage clearance from above.   Either way, seems unnecessarily bloody complex...

Pics here with side panel removed (of a 982/718) show a number of drain plugs: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/981-convertible-top-drain-tubes.243464/

Removing the panel to access the plugs is not something I'm contemplating unless I'm inundated by people telling me it's a 10 minute job and any idiot could do it and replace it without breaking anything ☺️

Now garaged btw, so once I've got this sorted should hopefully not reoccur.

3 hours ago, michelin said:

Where heated washer jets an option on our cars?

👍

No they fitted them as standard.  I'm sure if they had an easy way to code them out they would have charged an additional £250 to activate them LOL.

6 minutes ago, michelin said:

Cheers Daz.

I've just had a pair sent to me from my OPC and they aren't heated 🤨

The part no on the packet is 9P1 955 985.

I'm self isolating at the moment so would have looked but the car is in my unit.

👍

Only way to be sure is to take the old ones off but I'd send them back and buy the VW ones in the video.  Porsche ones are no good, heated or not.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:39 PM, DeRo said:

Update.

Both nearside drains appear ok, draining quickly at the rear with the deep "main" drain also draining at the front.

The deep offside main drain is also draining quickly at the rear but the higher drain (as per video in this thread) is not draining at the rear.  It is however, draining quite slowly at the front. I don't understand how it's getting to the front without a drop from the rear but it definitely is, I've got paint trays under front and rear collecting the water. 

I've had a go at clearing it with some stiff electrical cable which goes in about 30cm before meeting resistance.  This hasn't worked, next step is some air down there I think.

Thanks daz05

Drain cleared using the "tool" below.  Which is an old airbed foot pump with a length of flexible plastic pipe attached (outside diameter 11mm).  Both in the, "I'll hang on to that it might be useful" junk in my garage.

Filled the drain with water, stuck the pipe in and pumped a few times.   Water and gunge squirt out the top.  Repeat and water and gunge now coming out from underneath car.  Couple more goes and water now flowing quickly through.  So pretty simple fix, no high pressure air required.  May be of use to others.

pump - Copy.jpg

45 minutes ago, DeRo said:

Drain cleared using the "tool" below.  Which is an old airbed foot pump with a length of flexible plastic pipe attached (outside diameter 11mm).  Both in the, "I'll hang on to that it might be useful" junk in my garage.

Filled the drain with water, stuck the pipe in and pumped a few times.   Water and gunge squirt out the top.  Repeat and water and gunge now coming out from underneath car.  Couple more goes and water now flowing quickly through.  So pretty simple fix, no high pressure air required.  May be of use to others.

pump - Copy.jpg

Nice one, great idea! 

Archived