Washer jets, alarm siren and drains

daz05

What do these issues have in common, nothing except, that I made a video about fixing them!  The washer jets solution is one I am especially proud of!  Appreciate likes and comments on the channel if you are able.  Thanks guys.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@daz05 - another great video.👍

On the LEDs side indicators, you can file away some of the plastic on the tabs on the reverse which will make them sit less proud at the front.

5 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

P Zeros on the front Daz & on those roads - you're a brave man!

Great vid BTW as ever.

😂😂😂 I like to live dangerously. Honestly I've only ever had one moment with those tyres. I really need to get the PS4s on the front.

2 hours ago, Ringer250 said:

@daz05 - another great video.👍

On the LEDs side indicators, you can file away some of the plastic on the tabs on the reverse which will make them sit less proud at the front.

Nice one, will give that a go Ringer 👍

31 minutes ago, fizz said:

interesting with the washer jets... do you know if its the same case for the 986?

I bet it is but probably an older generation VW part. Can't see them engineering their own part for that.

Can you take a look at the 986 and maybe take a picture?

Awesome. 

I thought the washer jet was going to be the same problem as mine, the hose split where it feeds up into the bonnet.  Like others, will be off to the garage to check a few things.

As to your comment about enjoying driving these over winter, I'm with you.  They aren't anywhere near as much fun in winter and afterwards spend more time cleaning than spent driving so I don't bother and just use the daily all winter.

16 hours ago, daz05 said:

What do these issues have in common, nothing except, that I made a video about fixing them!  The washer jets solution is one I am especially proud of!  Appreciate likes and comments on the channel if you are able.  Thanks guys.

Daz,

Do you have a part number for the VW washer jets please?

My Boxster's were replaced under warranty but still exactly the same missing the centre of the passengers side windscreen and smearing as a result.

Thanks, Barry

5 minutes ago, BarrySt said:

Daz,

Do you have a part number for the VW washer jets please?

My Boxster's were replaced under warranty but still exactly the same missing the centre of the passengers side windscreen and smearing as a result.

Thanks, Barry

Hi Barry, of course, 5M0955986C X2 for heated and ending 985c for not heated. I guess all 981s are heated.

Out in a brand new 70k cayenne yesterday and guess what.... Just as bad. 😂

Nice video again Daz, I'll be going chirp checkin' in the morning!

Already done the LED side repeaters but very interested in the washer jet parts as mine aren't exactly terrific, never have been! What is the rubber part you mentioned and did you manage to transfer it to the VW part?

37 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Nice video again Daz, I'll be going chirp checkin' in the morning!

Already done the LED side repeaters but very interested in the washer jet parts as mine aren't exactly terrific, never have been! What is the rubber part you mentioned and did you manage to transfer it to the VW part?

Yes you can transfer it over quite easily it needs adapting ever so slightly because the clips are different, but probably not all that necessary.

Thanks Daz, 

I am posting below my recent electrical issues in the hope someone can offer some advice ?

About 3 weeks ago I had a non starting issue, I drove to the supermarket about a 4 mile journey, 40 minutes later when my wife returned with the shopping I turned the key to start the car, all dash lights on but nothing happened no sounds as would be expected if it was a low battery. Porsche assistance were called, car could not be jump started with his booster pack so the fall back was disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes reconnect, the car started perfectly.

Yesterday I drove to a friend to drop off a card, on getting back in the car I turned the key and the horn started going off, I tried a couple of times then just went for the full key turn with horn sounding the engine started and the horn stopped making a noise, I get home tried it a couple of times during the afternoon car started normally each time, today car started normally I drove about 10 miles and called at another friend, attempting to start the car to return home, horn going off as soon as 1st part of key was turned, tried a couple of times similar results, I could eventually get the engine running but the horn continued to sound, I think the neighbours thought I was a car thief ! Not being very knowledgable about car stuff I thought I would disconnect the battery wait 5 mins etc and the engine started as well as the horn which ceased after 10 seconds fortunately.

I am going to perform the glove box test as shown in the video but if anyone  has any other suggestion as to the cause or possible cure I would be grateful for any assistance anyone could offer.

thanks,

Have you had a scan of the car?

This would point to the problem.

I was going suggest drop testing the battery but it sounds ok. You never know though as our batteries are AGM not normal ones.

I'd go for a scan at a local indy first or see if your friendly OPC will do it 😉

Cheers

🎅

41 minutes ago, michelin said:

Have you had a scan of the car?

I'd go for a scan at a local indy first or see if your friendly OPC will do it 😉

Cheers

🎅

Or check the BoXa.net map for members with diagnostic kit

@Artj Sorry this one is new to me, how good is the battery in your key fob?  Have you had any warnings on the dash about changing the battery.

Is it the horn sounding or the alarm siren, you could try disconnecting the siren and test it again, the car won't mind.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I went  out today in some really dirty weather and there were no problems starting the car following the couple of stops I made  and the just checking start up on the drive  once i got home, so either it has fixed itself or the fault is lurking ready to catch me as some inappropriate time. I will take it to my local indy but it will probably  be in the new year now.

50733781217_e9d79625f4_h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, hope you had a happy and relaxing Christmas. Some of the 718 owners watching are reporting that they don't have heated washer jets fitted like we do. Does anyone know if that became an option? It did seem generous by Porsche standards to provide this as part of the standard spec!

Either way, the next time someone asks we you haven't upgraded to the latest model, you can respond by telling them that it's not just the engine that makes the 981 better! 😂😂😂

On 12/18/2020 at 6:01 PM, Artj said:

Thanks everyone for the comments, I went  out today in some really dirty weather and there were no problems starting the car following the couple of stops I made  and the just checking start up on the drive  once i got home, so either it has fixed itself or the fault is lurking ready to catch me as some inappropriate time. I will take it to my local indy but it will probably  be in the new year now.

50733781217_e9d79625f4_h.jpg

How old is the car battery ? Assuming it's a Porsche original it will have a year and week stamp on the negative terminal. 

If the car is standing around a lot and not being used I'd suggest leaving it on a trickle charger.

On 12/15/2020 at 5:28 PM, daz05 said:

Hi Barry, of course, 5M0955986C X2 for heated and ending 985c for not heated. I guess all 981s are heated.

Out in a brand new 70k cayenne yesterday and guess what.... Just as bad. 😂

Hi Daryl - did you go for any particular brand of that part, the prices vary quite a bit?

Archived