Starter motor

Liberty

41 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Has anyone replaced recently and can recommend?Mine is just starting to catch and make a racket now and again?

many thanks David 

In the first instance, remove and clean up the bendix, common issue, utube it you will find tutorials 

What Bally says. Remove, clean (lightly grease) and put back. I bought a new one as it looked like a bit of a faff. It worked 3 times then sit stuck on so I had to disconnect the battery. Cleaned up the old one and put it back and it's been fine ever since. The brushes were hardly worn it was just the grease that had dried to a crisp. That was when it was 11 years old - 2006 987.1on

If you have the skills to get it out, pretty sure you can service it and put it back. Better than doing the job twice !

They can be a prize faff to get out though. The motor is on top of the engine so access is easy but getting to the bolts to remove it led to some scraped knuckles in my case. And it's much easier if you take the inlet plenum chamber off beforehand. 

Remove and clean and re-grease is likely to solve your problem and won't cost you anything other than time (and the skin on your knuckles.) 

15 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Old school terminology, same difference it gets gummed up and sticks

I was taught never to grease a Bendix drive. As dirt will stick to the grease, so a short term fix before it jams again. Just strip it, clean it, and examine for wear or damage. With a pre-engage type I'd say the same applies. And make sure the solenoid can move easily - they can get corroded with age and jam. Also confirm it is a starter problem. The solenoid takes quite a bit of current, so make sure it is getting the full battery volts.

6 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

I was taught never to grease a Bendix drive. As dirt will stick to the grease, so a short term fix before it jams again. Just strip it, clean it, and examine for wear or damage. With a pre-engage type I'd say the same applies. And make sure the solenoid can move easily - they can get corroded with age and jam. Also confirm it is a starter problem. The solenoid takes quite a bit of current, so make sure it is getting the full battery volts.

+1

8 hours ago, DaveEFI said:

I was taught never to grease a Bendix drive. As dirt will stick to the grease, so a short term fix before it jams again. Just strip it, clean it, and examine for wear or damage. 

That's correct, however dry lubrication like silicon spray is fine.

Archived