Anyone fitted a short shifter to 981

mneil

I fitted the GT4 shifter turret. I did it when the car was nearly new so it made the shift action noticeably notchier but the throw is wonderful. The notchiness has since settled down. Shift effort has never bothered me, before or after. As a side benefit, the lower gear knob height looks better and makes access to the buttons on the centre console easier. I'm still using my original gaiter despite promising myself a new one (with a contrast stitch to match the rest of the interior) 4 years ago. The "excess" material is not a problem.

I hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Flyferrari said:

I fitted the GT4 shifter turret. I did it when the car was nearly new so it made the shift action noticeably notchier but the throw is wonderful. The notchiness has since settled down. Shift effort has never bothered me, before or after. As a side benefit, the lower gear knob height looks better and makes access to the buttons on the centre console easier. I'm still using my original gaiter despite promising myself a new one (with a contrast stitch to match the rest of the interior) 4 years ago. The "excess" material is not a problem.

I hope that helps.

Thanks😃. I presume you ordered it from OPC. Next on the to do list.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, mneil said:

Part ordered and only £212 from OPC will be here tomorrow😃.

Part number98142401020

If anyone needs it,  looks an easy fit on Y.tube

can you link it?

23 hours ago, Patt said:

My PDK will still shift faster 😄

...here we go <rolls eyes>

4 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

can you link it?

...here we go <rolls eyes>

take care with the big side panels: prise outwards starting from the rear very gently along the bottom edge the pull towards yourself. they have locating lugs at the top and bottom of the fron section.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Flyferrari said:

Really interesting. However I can't be the only one wincing at the careless way he tosses the trim panels around! Leave the PCM hanging by its loom.....what could possibly g9 wrong!🤪

He does come from the colonies🤣

• 2 years later...
18 hours ago, Jonners said:

How did you find the Short Shifter @mneil

Considering it as the first mod to my 981. 

Hi Jonners the GT4 shifter is very easy to fit as it comes complete with an aligning tool and adds to the sportiness, of course probably all in the mind 😃 but I liked it.

A good plastic prizing tool to take off the side panels etc is the only extra. Good luck.

42 minutes ago, mneil said:

Hi Jonners the GT4 shifter is very easy to fit as it comes complete with an aligning tool and adds to the sportiness, of course probably all in the mind 😃 but I liked it.

A good plastic prizing tool to take off the side panels etc is the only extra. Good luck.

I changed the shifter in my 987S to a porsche short shifter. I've watched a couple of videos on changing the 981 shifter and it looks even more straight forward. 

I'll add it to the to do list!

Thanks for the reply.

Part ordered from Porsche, should be here tomorrow. 

The parts guy tried telling me the knob and surround need changing at the same time, I presume this is not the case @mneil?

Asked for a discount and got it down to £210 inc vat, same as you paid 2 years ago!

33 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Part ordered from Porsche, should be here tomorrow. 

The parts guy tried telling me the knob and surround need changing at the same time, I presume this is not the case @mneil?

Asked for a discount and got it down to £210 inc vat, same as you paid 2 years ago!

As far as I remember, the gear knob just pushed on at about 9 o'clock then twists to lock in place. I certainly didn't change it or the surround.

Good skills on the discount😃.

• Like 1