Auto rain sensor

Ringmaster999

So I know this has been mentioned but after a search I can’t find it. Spoke to Lee at CPS today prior to my visit for a major service in a couple of weeks and mentioned that apparently the rain sensor for auto wipe when it starts raining is present and requires some activation.

So who’s had this done and what is it that actually needs doing 🍻👍 I’m hoping Lee can sort it but any prior information much appreciated 

Hi yes, it's true, just a case of enabling the option with PIWIS, I can't remember what module you go into. I recall it's something like front end electronics and then something obscure like the instrument cluster that the option is in.

@RichardHamilton knows for sure.

3 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Hi yes, it's true, just a case of enabling the option with PIWIS, I can't remember what module you go into. I recall it's something like front end electronics and then something obscure like the instrument cluster that the option is in.

@RichardHamilton knows for sure.

Cheers Daz hopefully Richard will pop along later 👍

Just now, Stuart21UK said:

when I had a replacement screen Autoglass said it had a rain sensor in it FWIW (and I dont have the option)

is it a different stalk too though?

They all have one fitted it's just not activated. Stalk is the same your first click up becomes automatic mode.

Had mine activated by a friend of Richard’s. Leeds OPC didn’t know how to do it and asked if I could share the coding with them! As Daz says they are on all 981s - just need to find an OPC or indie that knows how to code it. 

8 minutes ago, RS2 said:

Guys, that’s interesting, had no idea. What else is available for the 981 that just needs activating?

Think that's your lot, they are generally wired per the exact spec of the car. In this case it's just because they are using VW parts and modules, typically auto lights come with the auto wipers. I suspect marketing needed to add something else to make the auto dimming option more appealing.

I also have a feeling that the parking screen on the pcm could be activated if you have rear parking sensors, because I think these cars have the upgraded parking module just without the front sensors hooked up.

Understood Daz, thx. I have front and rear parking sensors (no camera) with the parking screen on pcm so I guess I’m out of luck for any other freebies via PIWISS....

Been trawling through your videos...seriously useful info. Thank you

10 hours ago, RS2 said:

Understood Daz, thx. I have front and rear parking sensors (no camera) with the parking screen on pcm so I guess I’m out of luck for any other freebies via PIWISS....

Been trawling through your videos...seriously useful info. Thank you

Thanks 👍 appreciate it, have some parts and upgrades sitting for the next one.

Am I reading that correctly you only have rear sensors but the parking screen showing a picture of the car in birds view is showing on screen? If so then it can be activated and I'll need to try and get that done.

13 hours ago, RS2 said:

Guys, that’s interesting, had no idea. What else is available for the 981 that just needs activating?

I have also coded the stop/start on a few 981s to default to the last setting.  Not a freebie add-on like the wipre sensor, but removes an annoyance for some.

Now THAT is probably the single most useful hack available. For me the inability to permanently cancel the stop/stat on all my cars is a total pain in the nuts! Not to mention the over working of the starter motors...

Archived