Going to do my own oil service - what oil?

Rav

Following on from my last thread - i have decided to change the oil and filter on my car, even though she has done less than 2k miles since the last service in March 2019. It was Cotswold Porsche that completed the work at that time and they used Mobil 3000 5W 40 oil.

I spoke to my OPC who suggested that i buy the oil myself as they only buy in bulk. They do offer some specific oil in the Porsche Design booklet for the 986 at £100 for 5 litres!!

The OPC recommended using Mobil 1 0-40 ? Which should i use?

Lastly, what else should i check or replace whilst under the car. The last service was a minor. 

Oil OPC.jpg

I generally use Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 High Performance Fully Synthetic Engine Oil.

Meets the A40 spec and sells for around £30 for 5 litres.

Occasionally you can see a deal going at Opie Oils for it and then it comes in at around £20 - £25 for 5 litres.

Pretty sure that Fuchs own (or owned) Silkolene.

I thought Porsche now recommend 5W-50 for older vehicles including the 986?

I used Millers Xf 5w50 last time which is specified to meet Porsche A40 requirements according to their website.

Tbh if your changing it after 2000 miles any decent quality synthetic will do a good job I'd have thought.

Edited by jonogt6

@Rav  I  use Mobil 3000 5W 40 from eurocarparts, 2x5 litre will sort you out, with their discount code it’s approx £40 per 5L can.

Engine will take 8.5L, you can also get oil filter, air filter etc from them too.

You will need an oil filter tool to unscrew the oil filter, I have one you can borrow if you don’t have one. I also have ramps and an oil dump box which you can borrow too.

I do my own oil change every 3000 miles

Thanks Baron - My thought was to attack the air con pipes and the easier oil and filter change whilst the car is up in the air.

I might have to take you up on borrowing the oil filter removal tool. I will see what Eurocarparts can do about the oil and have a genuine oil filter and copper washer on order from Swindon OPC ready to collect friday.

8 hours ago, Rav said:

Thanks Baron - My thought was to attack the air con pipes and the easier oil and filter change whilst the car is up in the air.

I might have to take you up on borrowing the oil filter removal tool. I will see what Eurocarparts can do about the oil and have a genuine oil filter and copper washer on order from Swindon OPC ready to collect friday.

For future ref ECP do the OEM oil filter and washer, welcome to borrow the tool as above, I had totally forgotten about your headlight, do you still have it?

On 5/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, CRC said:

I generally use Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5W-40 High Performance Fully Synthetic Engine Oil.

Meets the A40 spec and sells for around £30 for 5 litres.

Occasionally you can see a deal going at Opie Oils for it and then it comes in at around £20 - £25 for 5 litres.

Pretty sure that Fuchs own (or owned) Silkolene.

Plus 1 on this I use it on my 944s2 and on the boxster , Porsche rated too ,  Pipercross on eBay do 2x5 litres for around £40  

Edited by S2sam