Blocked rear drainage hole

Chriso

Hi All,

Newbie here, but long-term lurker.

I discovered yesterday, unfortunately, a very damp drivers side carpet in my new to me 981S. Thankfully all appears normal with the electrics and I have been trying to get under the carpet to dry them, with some success. 

The garage is now cleared of years of detritus and it is out of this terrible spring weather we are having. I have tested both rear drain holes and whilst both drain (and passed its Porsche inspection on this 6 weeks ago!) the drivers side is draining much slower and you can see a water stuck in the drain hole, going nowhere.

I have tried the trombone cleaner route, but it will only go so far? For those of you have done this before should it go all the way to the bottom of the car? I don’t have access to compressed air at home either so any bright ideas welcome 😃 Also, any idea of cost to unblock at an independent?

Thanks in advance. 

14 minutes ago, Chriso said:

Hi All,

I discovered yesterday, unfortunately, a very damp drivers side carpet in my new to me 981S. Thankfully all appears normal with the electrics and I have been trying to get under the carpet to dry them, with some success. 

The garage is now cleared of years of detritus and it is out of this terrible spring weather we are having. I have tested both rear drain holes and whilst both drain (and passed its Porsche inspection on this 6 weeks ago!) the drivers side is draining much slower and you can see a water stuck in the drain hole, going nowhere.

I have tried the trombone cleaner route, but it will only go so far? For those of you have done this before should it go all the way to the bottom of the car? I don’t have access to compressed air at home either so any bright ideas welcome 😃 Also, any idea of cost to unblock at an independent?

Thanks in advance. 

Hi and welcome

@daz05 does some great 981 videos, he covers the drains here from about time index 09:00

26 minutes ago, Chriso said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance. 

Unfortunately a trombone cleaner doesn’t work like it did on the 987/986 due too the fact the drain hole bends just a little distance from the top like the bottom of a hockey stick. If it’s at all blocked compressed air seems to be the best solution in order to blow the debris out. Independent likely to charge an hours labour I’d say. Hope you get it sorted 🤞☀️

Here is my creation I use regularly and it works. Double action kitesurf pump with a smaller bore tube attached via gaffa tape. Think places like go outdoors, lidl often have them.

2021-05-13_08-01-48

First I put the good into service mode and attack from the rear🤭.

There's a photo of my home made drain clearer (similar principle to mneil)  in daz05's thread here:

Worked fine for me so may well not need compressed air to clear.  What's probably more important is getting the right size of plastic pipe to fit snugly in the drain.

Note too as daz05 points out, there are two drains on each side.

Haha JT 🤣 🤣 
Thanks all for the advice. Thankfully sorted by the local Indy FOC. Some compressed air sorted it out very quickly. It doesn’t say much for OPC Stockport however who passed it only 6 weeks ago as part of a PPI. I doubt they even checked 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Chriso said:

Haha JT 🤣 🤣 
Thanks all for the advice. Thankfully sorted by the local Indy FOC. Some compressed air sorted it out very quickly. It doesn’t say much for OPC Stockport however who passed it only 6 weeks ago as part of a PPI. I doubt they even checked 🤷‍♂️

I suspect that as part of PPI they may feel the carpets and check for any interior damp, if all is well they won’t check the drain holes.  

I've only used Stockport OPC once, but got to say they were really good.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:17 PM, Jonttt said:

They let anyone join here now 🤣

22 hours ago, Jonttt said:

Thats good, was it a Porsche Indy, OCD in Wallasey ?

It was JT. Very helpful to be fair to them. 

Drying out the carpet is a thing of nightmares though! The carpet has sponge on it and SO much water is held in it 😡 I have a small dehumidifier that’s going all day and night. Hopefully we’re slowly getting dry!!

Yep I’ve never had it but believe it can be a bit of a nightmare to dry out the carpet backing......worth getting it fully dry to avoid that aweful damp smell you could get though 👍...........drive it around with the roof down helps 😁

ps may be worth you getting one of those reusable silicon packs you can leave in the car to soak up any lingering dampness 

Ps there is a Porsche meet over in Manchester on the 5th June if you fancy a run out, nice pub with a second car park we use.......mainly Porsche but some of the guys turn up in other exotica ..........they change cars more often than I can keep track of so always something new to look at .......let me know and I’ll send you details, I’d take Daisy but she still does not do “fastness”, Taylor would love it though.......Isyman may be there in his GT2RS........you can moan to him about the blocked drains lol

On 5/19/2021 at 6:04 AM, Jonttt said:

Ps there is a Porsche meet over in Manchester on the 5th June if you fancy a run out, nice pub with a second car park we use.......mainly Porsche but some of the guys turn up in other exotica ..........they change cars more often than I can keep track of so always something new to look at .......let me know and I’ll send you details, I’d take Daisy but she still does not do “fastness”, Taylor would love it though.......Isyman may be there in his GT2RS........you can moan to him about the blocked drains lol

Ok great Jon thanks. I best check there’s nothing planned for me! Let you know. Good idea on the silicon packs.

Drove back from Mere golf club earlier today in terrible weather and no signs it has reoccurred 

Archived