5,114th day as its keeper.....

map

So 14 years ago on this date I became the keeper of my first Porsche and that's prompted me to look back at some of the stages it's been through.....

It started pretty much like this - but for the hardtop and Zeinwing.  Mods started pretty soon after I got it.

dcndh6om.jpg

Great car and huge fun - still think that, it's only now that the looks are growing on me.

First exhaust upgrade:

7QpFpRIm.jpg

Full Cargraphic system with 200 cell cats - sounded great - still would if it was fitted to my car.

Numerous road trips in it - Euro Tunnel on the way out:

lTnVAwhm.jpg

Northern Italy the morning after an evening run from Calais - stopping only for fuel - I could hear these bugs hitting the car and screen even at press on speeds

quU0hlpm.jpg khUS0djm.jpg

Pre-lockdown it got used a lot - typically 12k+ miles a year....

GnE1Ggum.jpg aOK3u6Lm.jpg

It's also been tweaked a bit - and that's probably got a little out of hand....

f58Bmymm.jpg n7uyWv6m.jpg

KqkxJVHm.jpg sjCl4t2m.jpg

mIKyXorm.jpg 1ziRxo2m.jpg

3teXFnNm.jpg 3Zt8Eehm.jpg

1ziRxo2m.jpg rQzGnpGm.jpg nry9TSgm.jpg 

And that little lot, which is the first stage in the engine silliness gives me this with an interim map....

Eu0RlE6m.jpg

There's more to come with significant changes to both induction and mapping.

Other "updates" include the steering wheel being covered in Alcantara (suede next time) and the CAE shifter - both are ace upgrades.

qMlx8kum.jpg pqDPGyOm.jpg

Got a bit of a wheel problem which worsened recently with these being added to the stash:

wb84b6Km.jpg

They'll either look epic or they won't - white could work really well against silver.  If it doesn't then I'll move them on.

It has been a used a lot - commuting, road trips, pottering, trackdays, aside from space in terms of seating and carrying capacity there's been next to no compromise in how I use it.  Winters for when it's cold and you're set for year round use....

Some of my favourite in use photos:

cqiOMWfm.jpg QyIfubem.jpg 

C2844E8m.jpg yrt7AqUm.jpg

These are great cars......

• Like 10

@mapyou know I’m in awe of your car and love the “Outlawness” of it.

Great summarised update.

if you don’t like the Fuch I might be tempted to buy them from you and paint them black and silver as they should be, have been looking for a while to find the right ones.

Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Great read @map - I’d missed it was a 3.7 previously. Bet that feels good with the KWs in combo with the shifter etc.

Thank you. 

It all works together really well. It’s probably too focused for most folk - which is also to say the factory got it absolutely right for all but the few Outliers like me. 

Suspension works well following a refresh of bushes and geo. TBH I’d let it get away from me because of lack of use.

The coilovers are KW Motorsport custom built (damping rates) for this car albeit it is too much for the Dales and Strines runs. Less torturous surfaces are fine and I can put the car across the Eau Rouge kerbs at 100mph and the chassis remains nicely balanced.  They’ll need a rebuild next year and we’re aiming to move the dampers’ centre point a few clicks softer.

3.7 has lightly re-profiled cams for more urgency. The crank assembly (pistons, rods, bolts, crank and flywheel) is 8.6kg lighter than stock. It revs really nicely but the fuelling on the interim map holds it back so it’ll be a crackingly characterful motor once it’s finished.  The rod bolts are rated to 9k+ rpm - we opted for the headroom in case I get bored and push the button on a Stage3 upgrade - this thing will never be finished. The IMSB is the last version so it’s the factory Big Bearing setup.

There are a load of other detail alterations which homogenise the changes making sure the car stays comfortably on the street useable side of track focused. 

It is just great fun - especially when it’s being wrung out to 7k rpm.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the baron said:

@mapyou know I’m in awe of your car and love the “Outlawness” of it.

Great summarised update.

if you don’t like the Fuch I might be tempted to buy them from you and paint them black and silver as they should be, have been looking for a while to find the right ones.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you - I remember our discussions about it. It should be a little less standard as I’m working through some mods to the seating and some other interior bits. I would like to sit lower in the car and want proper harnesses fitted - probably Schroth who have a specific design for the Cayman which should fit well. 

If the wheels don’t look right to me I’ll let you know.