new tyres

Mickl

Just been looking at tyre prices for my 1999 986 S.

17 INCH RIMS, Black circles are coming in at 475.26 for a set of michelin ps4 delivered, the aim is to send new tyres with the wheels to the refurbishers as this saves fitting cost

Tyre spec 205/50/17 y 93 front and 255/40/17y 98 rear

Anyone know of any better deals at the moment

Cheers

Mick

I priced up some Goodyear's for a Merc and it was actually cheaper to do on my drive via Halfords. Quidco give some extra cashback too. 

13 hours ago, acgtrider said:

I went for a square 225/45/17 setup on all 4 wheels. Got 4X PS4’s at Costco for £280

On a 986 or a 987??  On a 986, particularly without traction control (don't know if @Pordave has traction or not), that's quite narrow on the back.

1/2cwt 

I have a 1999 986 with what I believe are standard fit tyres. I agree with you that without traction control (which I haven’t got) 225 on the rear may provoke rather to many ‘oops are my reactions quick enough’ moments. Especially as I am past pensionable age.

From that you can assume my own ar*e end is loose enough without help!

cheers Dave

i'm considering moving to 245/40/R17 on the rear (and a 225/45/R17 front), doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in a 255/40/R17 these days. Though, will try and do a trackday first so i can really get a feel for how the car behaves, and what the balance is. i suspect a 205 front and 255 rear will promote a lot of understeer when pushed.

You can negate some understeer with a squarer geo set up too. As standard you tend to run 1 Deg more negative camber on the rear than the front. 

Another vote for Camskill.

£414.50 for the Michelin PS 4 delivered last year (so not the latest price)

I also fitted the PS4 - 225/45 R17 at the front with the PS4 - 255/40 R17and its fine.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:37 PM, ½cwt said:

On a 986 or a 987??  On a 986, particularly without traction control (don't know if @Pordave has traction or not), that's quite narrow on the back.

On 5/25/2021 at 10:37 PM, ½cwt said:

986 2.7 facelift with no traction control. Never had any issues, found it improved turn in nicely and I drove the car very hard on a regular basis. 

Traction is rarely an issue with Boxsters. I had a 400bhp AMG and that has narrower rear tyres than my Boxster which has nearly 150bhp less.

35 minutes ago, edc said:

Traction is rarely an issue with Boxsters. I had a 400bhp AMG and that has narrower rear tyres than my Boxster which has nearly 150bhp less.

So true. I have Nexen Nfera on mine all round which are by no means a premium brand tyre and it sticks to the road like a very sticky thing.  I can't imagine ever requiring any more traction.

I can break traction in my S with only year old 265 rears on it but I do have to try hard or be pushing on over a 'go light' on the road.  No TC here!

I got a new set on my ‘03 Boxster a couple of weeks ago. I went for Goodyear Asymmetric 5 (225.40/18 265.35/18) instead of PS4s. I had priced them with Kwikfit (£435) and mentioned it to my local tyre guy and told him that I’d rather give him the business if he could supply them in or around that price and he came back with a quote of £395 with 2 days delivery. I have to say I’m very happy with them so far. I would imagine that 17” should be a bit less. 

Archived