Playing music on PCM 3.0

Cocky

Is it possible for me to play music via Bluetooth on the PCM 3.0 (or is it just for calls?) 

If not via Bluetooth is my only option then the AUX & if so can you skip through music via an aux cable or not? 

Using the USB port it says not compatible (I'm on a Pixel 3) but it does charge my phone via the USB. 

Thanks 

Do you have the “universal audio” bit in the armrest cubby ?

aux , usb and a weird round socket called “iPod” ? 

if so.  You have options. But let’s figure out what you have. 

You could plug a Bluetooth receiver via a cable into the aux socket in the armrest (if you have it). There’s one made by a company called Bovee, there are others, but I forget the name.

Or you could get a wireless CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade Joyeauto kit. I’ve just fitted one and it’s great.

1 hour ago, Stuart21UK said:

IIRC BT will work but I cant remember if you have to control on the phone 

the girls used to stream via BT to the Cayenne's PCM when on long journeys but used the phone to switch tracks

Obviously I've managed to connect my phone to the PCM and have used it to make calls but absolutely nowhere can I find anywhere that I can then try to play music via BT onto, I was thinking I'd find a simple AUX, BT, USB sort of function. Unless I need to try harder. 

40 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Do you have the “universal audio” bit in the armrest cubby ?

aux , usb and a weird round socket called “iPod” ? 

if so.  You have options. But let’s figure out what you have. 

I do have the three ports yes, by plugging my phone into the USB port it charges and the PCM acknowledges it but then says it's not compatible. 

I haven't tried the AUX but like the sound of below 

38 minutes ago, Bayernlarge said:

You could plug a Bluetooth receiver via a cable into the aux socket in the armrest (if you have it). There’s one made by a company called Bovee, there are others, but I forget the name.

Or you could get a wireless CarPlay / Android Auto upgrade Joyeauto kit. I’ve just fitted one and it’s great.

My only issue here is if I connected to a BT receiver would I then not be able to use and make phone calls via the PCM/ Multi function wheel? 

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it! 

Do a forum search for Bovee and you’ll find a topic I started a while ago and one from Johnttt that should help.

The Bovee 1000 Bluetooth receiver (the other make I couldn’t remember is Invery) plugs into the 30 pin old iPhone/iPod socket on the Porsche Y-cable that goes into the sockets in your arm rest. The cable is approx £30 from an OPC.

This takes care of wireless music streaming - from an iPhone at least - I don’t know about your Pixel 3. I think you then stick with the PCM Bluetooth system for phone calls. I guess this means that your phone needs to be able to connect to two BT devices simultaneously.

i went round the houses on this for a while and ended up with a wired setup using the Y-cable and an extension with my iPhone in a magnetic dash mount. But I’ve just installed the PCM 3.0 joyeauto kit for wireless CarPlay (also does Android Auto) and it’s way better. Wireless music streaming, phone, texts, Google/Apple maps etc.

Hope that helps.

6 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

Do a forum search for Bovee and you’ll find a topic I started a while ago and one from Johnttt that should help.

The Bovee 1000 Bluetooth receiver (the other make I couldn’t remember is Invery) plugs into the 30 pin old iPhone/iPod socket on the Porsche Y-cable that goes into the sockets in your arm rest. The cable is approx £30 from an OPC.

This takes care of wireless music streaming - from an iPhone at least - I don’t know about your Pixel 3. I think you then stick with the PCM Bluetooth system for phone calls. I guess this means that your phone needs to be able to connect to two BT devices simultaneously.

i went round the houses on this for a while and ended up with a wired setup using the Y-cable and an extension with my iPhone in a magnetic dash mount. But I’ve just installed the PCM 3.0 joyeauto kit for wireless CarPlay (also does Android Auto) and it’s way better. Wireless music streaming, phone, texts, Google/Apple maps etc.

Hope that helps.

I've looked at the Joyeauto kit and that might be the route I go down, would also mean I can use the Waze app while out driving. Good heads up. 

9 hours ago, Cocky said:

Obviously I've managed to connect my phone to the PCM and have used it to make calls but absolutely nowhere can I find anywhere that I can then try to play music via BT onto, I was thinking I'd find a simple AUX, BT, USB sort of function. Unless I need to try harder. 

I do have the three ports yes, by plugging my phone into the USB port it charges and the PCM acknowledges it but then says it's not compatible. 

My only issue here is if I connected to a BT receiver would I then not be able to use and make phone calls via the PCM/ Multi function wheel? 

Connect via Bt aux, then play music on your phone...I think it's basically using the PCM as a BT speaker 

Once playing you may have skip control on pcm, I can't remember 

12 hours ago, Cocky said:

So. I think you have a number of choices.  

bkuetooth into aux - there’s a neat unit (think it’s called a firefly or something ) that has usb for power and aux output. 

your phone should still work through the car for calls (the aux adapter provides a2dp (audio) profile, the car provides. Hfp (handsfree phone) profile. 

usb - maybe - the car expects a fat32 drive with mp3 and a folder structure - I think the android phones (been a while) can be configured to present as mass storage but still might not work.  

ipod - now here’s the weird one.  The iPod interface is likely missing a cable they are about 30 quid from Porsche it’s a y cable that goods into the usb and the ipod round socket. And presents an old style ipod 30 pin connector.  Effectively useless for you BUT.  There are bkuetooth adapters that are designed for old style ipod docks that sit in the 30 pin connector. Car thinks it has an iPod connected.  You can pair your phone with that.  some will be “dumb” and give you no skip features etc (all driven from the phone ) and I think for Android that’s as far as it goes.  If you had an iPhone then a smarter (bovee or invery unit costing about 80 quid) will give you full track info, will display in the instrument cluster and give you skip etc from the head unit or steering wheel controls.  

i don’t think any of them will fake android to “iPod” but at least you would get tunes and you still retain phone Functionality.  largely same as the aux feature set described above.  

hope this helps