986 AirCon Evaporator replacement

Davehods

Hi All.  I have just had a mobile aircon guy check over my aircon as it was not blowing cold.  He has done a pressure test up to 177PSI and found no obvious leaks in the pipework/condenser etc. However, there was a leak via the dash vents which he has attributed to the Evaporator.  He had never fitted one to a Boxster and reckoned that it was probably a dash out job.  Have any of you replaced one and if so how big a job was it?

Many thanks in advance...

Just out of interest...I have been quoted 2 days labour to fit the evaporator!  Confirmed by my man in the garage that it is a complete dash out job.  Shame as the rest of the system is leak free with newish condensers and pipe work.

Edited by Davehods

4 hours ago, Bradders59 said:

Set a weekend aside, two weetabix for breakfast, get your spanners out and get stuck in.

Its only nuts / bolts and block connectors. Not brain surgery. 👍

Only 2 Weetabix?  I'd say 3 Shredded Wheat, but as you say only nuts, bolts, clips and connectors.  Just be methodical and take pictures as you go just in case you forget what goes where.

• Like 1

Hahahahaha...it is a lot of nuts and bolts!  I would not have the time to set aside for a job of that magnitude, playing with cars is in competition with many other activities (mainly involving horses) and at the moment it is my daily driver having handed company car back.  I think it can sit on the back burner for now...I'll just keep the roof down!

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, Sanky said:

Is the evaporator different to the heater core?

Yes but both live in the same heater box. 

I purchased Dave's car and the dash is currently stripped out.

As above, this is not a quick job and I would not recommend anyone taking it on without fully understanding what you are doing.

2 days is good going. 

Edited by TROOPER88
Spelling error

Odd a mobile guy changed my evaporator & the heat exchangers & vacced it out, pressure tested it, and regassed it in about 2-3 hours. 

3 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Nope

Picking up a replacement evaporator in the morning 👍

Externally, the old one looks in good condition.

Fingers crossed this was indeed the issue :)

Will keep you posted

I really hope it is the evaporator at fault after all the work you have done.

Just in case, look around for oil misting on as much of the system as you can see (especially the high pressure side) and have it pressure tested with nitrogen, before putting it back together.

Good luck

10 minutes ago, Desiro said:

I really hope it is the evaporator at fault after all the work you have done.

Just in case, look around for oil misting on as much of the system as you can see (especially the high pressure side) and have it pressure tested with nitrogen, before putting it back together.

Good luck

Really kind of you, thank you.

It is indeed a big job,

The dash removal itself is not to bad but then the scuttle panel has to come apart to disconnect the heater matriculates etc etc

Finally the heater box itself, it is a tight fit tbh but I am hoping I have done the hardest part.

I have a mobile AC guy out next week and he will test etc 🤞

If I were booking this job in as with other work, I would probably say 2-3 days ish 

• Like 1

Probably a silly question, but why do you need to have operating air con on a convertible car in the UK? It's 30 celsius + for approximately 1 week of the year, other than that you have a roof to put down or you just need the heater for 9 months of the year!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Probably a silly question, but why do you need to have operating air con on a convertible car in the UK? It's 30 celsius + for approximately 1 week of the year, other than that you have a roof to put down or you just need the heater for 9 months of the year!

My brother took your view & didn't bother to replace the condensers. Now that I own the car, the aircon is fully functional. It just doesn't sit right when something isn't working. I do find it more comfortable when I can control the environment in the car, especially on a longer run. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, McDonald said:

My brother took your view & didn't bother to replace the condensers. Now that I own the car, the aircon is fully functional. It just doesn't sit right when something isn't working. I do find it more comfortable when I can control the environment in the car, especially on a longer run. 

Fair enough 👍